Author Topic: Woe is me  (Read 3198 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Woe is me
« on: March 10, 2005, 11:12:25 »
Due to unforseen curcumstances, Mr M and I have had to leave our lovely little flat, with the 'balconies of plenty' in Oxford and move in with my in-laws while our new little cottage has some work done to it.  We were due to move soon, but were supposed to be moving straight in to the cottage.  :'( :'(

My in-laws are doing their utmost to make me feel as welcome as possible, but you can imagine what an awkward (and noisy) situation it is, especially considering there are still 5 other kids at home  :-\

And the WORST part is that I have lost all of my lovely space for growing seedlings. Too cold in my little mini-greenhouse to get much growing at the moment, and I had to chuck out a couple of trays of seedlings cos there just wasn't room for them (saved the leeks and the sweet peas though!)

Oh well, at least I have digging on my lottie to keep me sane, and I can always direct-sow  :-\
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Woe is me
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:24:19 »
Poor you Moggle , how long will the work take on your cottage i hope its not long i feel for you i had to share with Ma-in-law once i hated it just wanted to go and hide somewhere  at least you have your lottie , lets hope its soon sorted out , shame about your seedlings but look forwards look what you will be able to do soon i hope.  All the best Rosebud. ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:10:57 »
But that's so exciting Moggle. Moving into a cottage sounds wonderful. You lucky thing.

I'm finding, with my minimal space, that it pays to wait. Anything that is hardy enough to sow outside will have to cope with that. I'm sowing leeks, brassicas, etc outside in pots in my mini greenhouse in a couple of weeks when the weather (hopefully) warms up a bit more.

Tell us about the cottage - what's being done to it?
gone to pot :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 12:23:08 »
Sorry to hear of your cottage woes.  I think living with your relatives will definitely speed up the work on your cottage!  You'll be on the allotment at all hours just to get out the road of the in-laws.  Come to think of it - do you have a shed?   ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 12:34:40 »
Wardy, yes I have a shed and I also have a tent, and both of those are quite tempting at the moment. Also quite tempting to set up a bed here in the office! :-\

Aqui, the cottage will be exciting because it is cheap rent, but unfortunately we have to wait for someone else to do the work, and I am starting to get the feeling that no-one but me is considering the work very high priority  :'( It's hard to hassle the landlord though, as we have nothing in writing, and if we annoy them, they could tell us too take a hike :(

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 22:14:56 »
Sorry to hear that Moggle  :(  It sounds like a difficult situation you're in  and I don't envy you one bit.  Building work always seems to drop off at this time of year and picks up again once the weather improves.  I do hope you get sorted quickly and that you're soon in your new home.  I'm sure it will be worth the wait.  I expect the landlord will want to hurry things along as he won't be collecting the rent while it's empty.  Good luck  :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 14:22:43 »
Commiserations Moggle.  You must feel as though you are living in limbo at the moment, waiting to get your own place. I hope it won't be too long before you're in your own home.  Keep your chin up if you can, it will happen eventually.  :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 11:29:16 »
Well things have gone from bad to worse. We got a letter late last Thursday to say that they had decided not to rent the cottage to us  :'( :'( :'(

Father in Law got on the case for us and had some very stern words for the people involved, but they would not be moved.

We could probably try to make a legal case of it, something about a verbal contract being as binding as a written one, but Mr M does not want the bother of it, and I don't have the energy to do it on my own. I am sure it would be an awkward situation to be renting from them after making such a fuss.

The silver lining is that we are now going to look at buying instead. Will cost us a lot more, but it will be all our own.  :)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 12:07:30 »
This is dreadful news Moggle, so sorry to hear this, would it be worth a phone call or an appointment with Citizens Advice Bureau, people can't just mess other peoples lives about like this. >:(

My advice is don't take this lying down get some legal help, hope others on here with more expertise will come forward with a little help. ???

Keep yer chin up gal something will turn up I'm sure ;)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 13:40:03 »
Chin up Moggle  come on right up, there that`s better.
Things can only get better look around and do your best to get your own home
you will have the security of knowing its all yours, yes it is more expensive but it will be YOURS gal go for it and very very good luck.  The market is a bit slow this time of year so go girl go .  All the best Rosebud. :D :D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 13:41:51 »
looking at buying, yes, but this will take a while. can you stand it under the MIL's roof for that length of time? i know i couldn't :-\

best of luck
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 18:02:08 »
Sorry to hear about the cottage but I bet things work out for the best.  You'll get something even better you see  ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 18:21:50 »
Have to agree with Wardy on this one Moggle.  These things usually have a way of working out for the best I find. There will probably be a house with just the garden (or potential garden)  out there  just waiting for you.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope that it all works out.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 22:47:09 »
You poor thing, but I do tend to find that when you're in the midle of the crap, you feel you're just swimming in it, but a year on, you'll be in your own house, your home, your own garden on a sunny day, sipping a glass of wine and all this hastle will feel like a distant memory.  Put your head down, grit your teeth and just get through it. Good luck 8)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 23:54:34 »
Me dear Old Dad always said, better to buy then rent. Then you shut the door and know it is your own!!! He also said so long as you pay the mortgage, nothing else matters, cos realistically you can live without electrics and gas!!!
Have to say after being in tied accomodation/renting for far too many years, it is fab to close the door and know it is ours! (OK and the motgage co.'s!!)
Moggle, you gotta look that everything happens for a reason, maybe someone somewhere is telling you the time to buy is now!
I hope you find the perfect home and are happy in it!   DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 23:54:55 »
Best of luck ! And when you have come out of the tunnel, you will look back at this moment with a smile.

Chin up ! Could be much worse!
 ;) :) :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 09:04:11 »
Thanks for your support everyone. We will be looking at mostly new builds I think as we don't have a deposit, and the new builds seem to have a 'pay your deposit' scheme on the cheaper places. Hope to have a look at a few this weekend.
Getting used to the in-laws a little, and am starting to sleep a little better I think.
Hopefully it will all come good soon.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 15:57:31 »
What a palava.

I always think when someone messes you about like that, you're best shot of them. Just think if you had moved in and then they changed their minds.

Best of luck with the house buying. It's stressful, but well worth it in the end to know it is your space and your bit of ground!
gone to pot :D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 17:21:52 »
o moggle!
my heart bleeds for you luv-we we lucky enough to scrape-and i do mean scrape !)the deposit together when we were 33  for our first house-a weeny weeny terrace-and luck was with us on every move til we found the place we wanted(a litle ex-village school)so we can 'do our own thang' but the HASSLE we had with our buyer has ensured that we better dam well like it here cos it was such a nightmare i'm sure is whyour health is suffering at the momen(we've only been here 6 wees)
just you wait-it will al turn out for the best-fate andf all that-and you will end up with a lovely place you and mr moggle-thats it-chin right up now!
there-bets wishes ! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal