Author Topic: Have you all planted your potatoes?  (Read 6626 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Have you all planted your potatoes?
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 10:41:51 »
I am still digging out the nettles but the more time goes on, the more difficult they become to dig out.  I will persevere again today.   After three days of intensive digging, I am now a quarter of the way through, so I am getting there gradually. 

I was pleased to read that I am not the only one who hasn't planted my potatoes yet.  Once I am halfway through, I will plant my earlies and that will be a start.  I am pleased to hear that the weather will be warm during the next few days so I should be able to get on with it.  I had best get out there now!

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 22:05:44 »
Last week it was Desiree, week before it was Charlotte, and week before that it was Maris Bard. Weather permitting it will be Picasso tomorrow. Just one 20 spud row of each as I only have a small plot, and a few in various buckets/containers etc. I am realy behind this year as are most people due to the weather, and not doing any digging since this time last year before the rains came. Having heavy clay doesnt help either... :BangHead:

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 06:28:18 »
Yes, and the first Vales Emeralds started showing yesterday.

Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 06:57:31 »
Yes, the first mayan gold, desiree and red duke of york are up outside, the sharpes express inside are starting to flower and corneys challenge outside in a bag have been earthed up  :happy7:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 07:31:38 »
If it's any consolation - I'm in exactly the same boat!

My potatoes are destined to go in a previously un-cultivated bit of the allotment and I've managed to get 2 rows dug over and in the ground.  But as it's been so dry the last 3 weeks, the whole area has turned to concrete and digging over is becoming almost impossible!  I still have many more to get in!

I will just have to do the best I can around my work schedule - if they don't make it in the ground it won't be a disaster - and there's nothing that could be done about the weather being too wet, then frozen, then only diggable for a couple of weeks before becoming too hard.

It's annoying though!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal