Author Topic: Have you all planted your potatoes?  (Read 6625 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Have you all planted your potatoes?
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:41:20 »
I haven't got my potatoes in yet as I wasn't well for the first few months of this year.  I am better now though but I am still preparing the bed which is full of nettles, bindweed and dock.  I didn't grow anything in this plot last year so it has overgrown a bit.   

I am getting there though and hope to be able to plant the potatoes in a couple of weeks.  With it being so cold, I don't suppose they will be too far behind. 

Have you all planted yours yet or am I the only one to be so far behind?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Have you all planted your potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:50:05 »
I got mine in about ten days ago, that said, I'm the first on our (rather small) site to have done  so, and it wouldn't have been possible without my rotavator, a 1962 Howard 400 fitted with a potato ridger.... the ground is too claggy for digging with a fork, but I wanted to get it done so it was out of the way... took three evenings between when I get home from work (around 7pm) and darkness, though if I'd been a bit more organised (forgot to take one row of spuds worth out to teh site when I was planting) and a bit more get up and go about it I could have  done it in 2....110 spuds of a multitude of varieties, don't think I've got mroe than ten of any one type...

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:35:28 »
I'm glad to hear you are feeling better Paulines7  :wave:

You are not alone, apart from a few earlies in bags I've not planted any of my potatoes yet. Like you I hope to get them in shortly, weather and me permitting!
Don't lose heart, still time for them to produce a worthwhile crop, though blight might be a problem.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 12:42:30 »
I got mine in about a week ago, I had to wait for hubby to finish the raised beds. As Jayb says, there's time  :sunny:
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 13:32:50 »
Pleased to read your on the mend Paulines7,we have only planted ours a couple of weeks ago when energy and a break in the weather allowed,although I didnt do the usual 14 foot long trenches with our Rotovator and lay the spuds to rest,surrounding them in lashings   of extra fine compost then earthed over,,,,no no no,me neighbour said ...ere Gazza,watch me....30 years of 1 squared spade depth ...then drop spud in...earth over...walk away ....job done.....  no trenches....no fuss....just dig, drop, and go  !!!!!some folk make growing veggies so simple, ive so much to learn.............. :tongue3:

Gazza

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 13:48:00 »
I have four foot wide beds and last year and this I planted them in two rows along the bed and earthed them up as normal. Last year I had a row for each variety but this year I planted each variety in blocks of double rows so I can clear a block for a subsequent crop better. I put them in just over a week ago but I have lightish soil and the beds were fairly clear. (I use the long shoot method btw).
 I planted a few Lady Christl for the first time, some chitted supermarket Anya, my regular Foremost and Charlotte and a good block of Kestrel for the first time because so many of you have given good reports of it.

But the question I'd like to put is about the grid system of planting that Monty Don demonstrated on Gardeners World. On his bed he dropped them in deep holes 9 inches apart on a grid as with other bed planted systems. He said he had seen it in use in France where it is popular. It makes better use of space certainly but I don't see how you can earth them up. Any thoughts?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 14:44:46 »
Earlies in the end of March
Seconds in between the 14th and 21st of April
Desire in yesterday
Cara will go in next week

So your not that far behind you just need to catch up a little, but as you say they will soon catch up.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 15:11:22 »
I haven't got my potatoes in yet as I wasn't well for the first few months of this year.  I am better now though but I am still preparing the bed which is full of nettles, bindweed and dock.  I didn't grow anything in this plot last year so it has overgrown a bit.   

I am getting there though and hope to be able to plant the potatoes in a couple of weeks.  With it being so cold, I don't suppose they will be too far behind. 

Have you all planted yours yet or am I the only one to be so far behind?
Dont worry, everyones struggling to catch up. A neighbours field was planted with spuds for Walkers Crisps last Sunday. What a sight to see 6 of the largest 4Wd tractors tackling one 12 acre field! Seems they were in a hurry! Thats about 1million quids worth of tackle... how many packs of crisps from that acreage? Your  best guesses please.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 15:22:30 »
Paulines7 I'm in the same boat.  Op on shoulder christmas eve.  Have resorted to hiring a rotavater and man for the heavy work this year.  To give the doc his due he did tell me 15 months till things got back to any sign of normal.  Just couldn't get my head round the time scale and have had to find out the hard way.
Spuds still on trays.  But with the weather so very cold and windy, being a bit late may be an advantage.  We're still getting frosts here.  It will be interesting to see who does best later on in the year.  :wave:

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 17:46:35 »
Pleased to read your on the mend Paulines7,we have only planted ours a couple of weeks ago when energy and a break in the weather allowed,although I didnt do the usual 14 foot long trenches with our Rotovator and lay the spuds to rest,surrounding them in lashings   of extra fine compost then earthed over,,,,no no no,me neighbour said ...ere Gazza,watch me....30 years of 1 squared spade depth ...then drop spud in...earth over...walk away ....job done.....  no trenches....no fuss....just dig, drop, and go  !!!!!some folk make growing veggies so simple, ive so much to learn.............. :tongue3:

Gazza
My late m.i.l bought my OH one of these http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk/products/potato-planter-tool-11229.aspx

it's brilliant no trenches for us  :happy7:
Ours have all been in for a fortnight.
sanity is overated

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 18:17:38 »
Cheers macmac,nice idea,my mate on the plot has a fence post device that looks similar  to that contraption,which at a push could be used,here it is being sold on fleabay................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hilka-Heavy-Duty-Fibre-Glass-Shaft-Fence-Post-Hole-Digger-Twin-Spade-Shovel-/260935628585?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item3cc0f9b729#ht_956wt_1153

I used a shovel but I guess could borrow his "thingy" if needs be,cheers for the suggestion.

Gazza

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 18:28:05 »
My  firsts went in about 5 weeks ago but only now popping their heads up(3 rows) ,second Early's was about  3 weeks ago( anther 3 rows ) and no sign ,mains went in last week end   the first two was done by trenching but got fed up and the last lot went in  with  a bulb planter( 5 rows )my beds are 15 ft wide

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 18:31:04 »
I am still putting spuds in at schools; for harvests when they get back in Sept - no earlies this year!

And I'm extending my own spud area to take 1/4 of the full plot so need to put about another 30 in. So will be buying some this week.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 18:38:45 »
Hi everyone, I have just got around to putting my spuds in. Managed 4 short rows.Due to bad arthritis I am unable to dig a lot so it is just as well I have good soil. I borrowed a long spade like thing from my neighbour and just made a nice round hole and placed the potatoes in. Will be interesting to see what kind of crop I get compared to digging trenches. Old age, and what comes with it is no good for anyone. Still got the lates to put in but this weather isn't helping.Taurus and Pauline, know just how your feeling... get well soon.Roll on Summer!  :sunny: :sunny:

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 19:11:57 »

Gazza
My late m.i.l bought my OH one of these http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk/products/potato-planter-tool-11229.aspx

it's brilliant no trenches for us  :happy7:
Ours have all been in for a fortnight.
I bought one from Groves as well the week after they were on the TV.   When I put my spuds in a couple of weeks ago it made life a lot easier.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 19:19:11 »
Not planted mine yet either, will get them in next week..... probably.
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 20:35:29 »
OH planted them last Monday. The dining table looks bare :hello2:. The chaps on daughters site bought bulb planters & use that for potato planting. We don't trench but will add a layer of something when they pop through, they were planted deep though. It could be some time before we see anything :blob7:.

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 21:25:08 »
I use a long handled bulb planter- so much easier, and still got some maincrop to go in. Worry ye not Paulines7.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 22:23:45 »
Homeguard went in first, and they are just coming through, but I planted another 6 varieties this week with about 100 spuds in total. Still more to do, but I'm still preparing the ground. I like to make a trench with a rake and then rake the soil back again so it takes a while.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 00:01:05 »
All mine are in.... 6 and a half rows with about 25 to 30 in a row. A mixture of earlies, 2nd earlies and maincrop.

As I'm growing these on my half-plot where the soil is heavier (clay) I ran the rotovator over the ground following winter digging. I then trench (shallow "v" shaped) and use a hand trowel to dig each planting hole. It doesn't take long once you get into a routine. Soil from one planting hole is used to fill the previously planting hole.

(Pelleted chicken manure sprinkled on after the trench is made. )

All we need now is some warmth and some rain.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal