Author Topic: Potting Shed Dilema  (Read 12888 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Potting Shed Dilema
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:33:35 »
I'm having a dilema here. The new garden is small but I need a green house and shed. Not really enough room for both so I will compromise with a potting shed. I have searched for one with good light and found one with a half glazed roof. A local shed supplier has said he wont sell them as they leak! Has anyone got one?
I'd really like one of those half greenhouse half shed jobies but not enough room here and far to much money  :sad10:
Smile, it confuses people.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Potting Shed Dilema
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:51:18 »
Have a look here various sizes from 6ft x 6ft

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=158

Probably find cheaper on Ebay
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 23:27:57 »
Thanks Daveyboi, I had discounted that type of shed as it doesn't look to have enough room. I've been to a local garden center today and had another look. I don't think a potting shed is going to have enough light. I may have to consider a very small greenhouse and a small shed!!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:46:17 »
On our allotment site someone has a tiny greenhouse and a small shed directly behind it so you enter the shed by walking through the greenhouse....if that makes sense?

I would do it the other way round... have a small shed and cut a 2nd doorway in the back so you walk through into the greenhouse. The advantage would be they could be sited right next to each other so save space.

In sunny times the greenhouse would warm the shed and in wintery times the other way around.

Sounds mad but it seems to work.

(I'll see if I can take a photo when I'm on the plot next.)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:08:16 »
Hiya, Maggie, glad you're settled in the house enough to be looking at your garden. How about a shed with a lean to greenhouse. Just a thought. Happy growing xx

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 08:56:36 »
Maybe thinking outside the box could be the answer .. like a greenhouse and then putting a wardrobe or similar cupboard in a corner and bench with cupboards  underneath along the same side to act as your shed storage.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:04:43 »
My potting bench is in my greenhouse, but I'm seriously nothe person to advise on this cos I've got a massive greenhouse, several sheds and a lean-to for the rotavators...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 14:46:09 »
Thank you all very much for your help. AR a photo would be greatly appreciated. Rowlinsons make something along those lines but it has styrene glazing and for all that dosh (£1200) I'd want toughened glass, though it is very pretty :toothy4:
I need the shed bit to store my strimmer and tools, plus the mower if it will fit in, so it's got to be 6x8.Can't fit anything bigger in.
Mal, it's driving me potty out there, conifers now removed to reveal.....broken fences. Can't do anything till the fence man's been next week. Hey ho.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 16:04:15 »
Mal, it's driving me potty out there, conifers now removed to reveal.....broken fences. Can't do anything till the fence man's been next week. Hey ho.
You love it, really  :toothy10: :sunny: :icon_cheers:

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 22:32:56 »
How tall is the tallest tool you want to keep?..build a shed base with that height (say 3 foot) and then floor it and put the greenhouse on top... set of steps and youre away..
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 23:19:03 »
Thank you all very much for your help. AR a photo would be greatly appreciated. ........................

I'll do my best but didn't make it to the plot this week-end as intended. Instead I slept solidly for hours - (making up for the last 7 disturbed nights and late evenings).

But I'll make sure I take my camera when I go next time.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 16:49:03 »
How tall is the tallest tool you want to keep?..build a shed base with that height (say 3 foot) and then floor it and put the greenhouse on top... set of steps and youre away..

I've heard of a town house with the garage underneath but never a town greenhouse with a shed underneath  :)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 22:05:27 »
No reason why not though is there?... :icon_cheers:
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:07:58 »
Have you thought about building your own or getting some one to do it, in a local town to mine some one had the same problem as you small garden etc so what they did was too build a wood frame shed . one side(looked narrow ) they covered in  ply or similar which was later  clad in tongue and groove to pretty it up  the other wider side was  covered in first in plastic sheet which was later replaced with perspex. i am supposing when funds allowed

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 19:37:28 »
BT I had considered this but I think a custom built shed would be out of my range.No chance of anyone here doing it, I'd end up with what he thinks I should have and I'd have to grovel gratefully for ages!!!
Nomspatch, great idea but it'd be a bit like the crows nest on a ship in the greenhouse with the stuff I need to store underneath.
Mal, of course I do.x

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 00:04:08 »
Thank you all very much for your help. AR a photo would be greatly appreciated. ........................

I'll do my best but didn't make it to the plot this week-end as intended. Instead I slept solidly for hours - (making up for the last 7 disturbed nights and late evenings).

But I'll make sure I take my camera when I go next time.

So sorry.... the last three visits to the plot have been real rushes there and back so no camera with me. Today I simply forgot it!

Have you managed to sort anything out shed / storage wise?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal