Author Topic: collapsed Bizzy Lizzies  (Read 2626 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
collapsed Bizzy Lizzies
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:32:39 »
Brought my bizzie lizzies downstairs yesterday & put them on the patio while I went out - it rained a bit & they looked a bit sad when I got home, so I popped them in the greenhouse & this morning they are all sort of white & limp & I think probably nearly dead, is there any hope?
They were in an unheated bedroom so not exactly cossetted, also strangely the 2 trays with the smallest plants in don't seem to be affected.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: collapsed Bizzy Lizzies
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 18:28:43 »
I didn't realise bizzy lizzies were still being sold- they've suffered from a nasty disease the last couple of years. Did you have a frost last night?

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 20:51:29 »
No - they were tucked up by mid afternoon anyway

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 23:18:08 »
I didn't realise bizzy lizzies were still being sold- they've suffered from a nasty disease the last couple of years.

I have two trays of very healthy looking red and white busy lizzies waiting to be planted out. Bought them at Lidl's a couple of weeks ago.

Tricia

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:49:41 »
TBH it sounds as if they have succumbed to something in the weather.  Wind perhaps, after being protected inside.

See here for info about downy mildew - many (most) suppliers now only sell New Guinea Impatiens which is not affected by the disease:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=205

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/busy-lizzie-downy-mildew

I went to T&M's Open Garden weekend in 2011 and their basket hedge, usually a wall of beauty, had been wrecked by the disease, except for an area shaded by a tree in the corner.   

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:01:05 »
Think it might have been the wind - oh well lessons learned ( I hope!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal