Author Topic: The Allotment (TV Prog)  (Read 5424 times)

Bun

• Half Acre
The Allotment (TV Prog)
« on: March 09, 2005, 11:52:38 »
I don't know if there is a thread about this show, so I don't know if it's new or old, I watched it this morning on Discovery Home & leisure.
It looked pretty good.  :)

Wicker

• Hectare
Re: The Allotment (TV Prog)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 19:32:24 »
Didn't notice that, bun, But think it is probably the same series that was on D H & L a while back.  Then it used to be on about 7 a.m. so 10 o'clock is a lot more civilised!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:22:57 »
Hi,
Can it be the one I watched a bit back with two cooks going around lotties and cooking the produce?

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 16:54:21 »

This is, in my humble opinion, one of the best allotment shows on TV AND you can buy a DVD set of

the series £16.99 for 3 DVD's

Debs

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 17:44:49 »
Is this the one with Mavis fron Coronation Street narrating? I fit is a didn't reckon much to it. ::)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 19:57:33 »
Umph! Can't get ITV.....!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 22:42:33 »
No it's not Mavis thingy.  It's a series that TV West did called The Allotment which is now out on DVD (set of 3 for £16.99 or thereabouts)  You an visit ITV.com and follow the link and order it online.

I watched it many times.  I really look forward to watching it and usually have a treat or two while doing so.  I find it very relaxing to watch and there's some good tips in it for newbies.  I also liked it as they don't show perfect allotments but show what you can do with very rough ones (and on slopes!).  There's usually a bit at the end of each section where they eat and drink something produced on the plot. 

Good stuff  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 15:56:12 »
no link on itv.com :(
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 22:28:28 »
Try this Fingle     www.allotment.info/

It first appeared on TV West apparently and the prog follows allotments around Bristol, Bath and Yeovil. 

It;s about £16.99 for the set of three DVD's.  It's good for beginners.

Wardy

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 22:35:42 »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 14:22:18 »
That's the one  ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 21:01:58 »
i bought this(mainly on wardys recommendation!)and its lovely! ;D
very relaxing and inspiring too-i learned quite a few new things(not that i know much anyway-i'm a beginner)and theres anm interesting mix of people-i wish there were more progs like this-anyone remember'dig' in the early 80's on telly :D.....i think...great programme-so was all muck and magic ;D..i wonder why they dont repeat them?instead we have acres of concrete and instant trellis-does monty don think we're made of money by the way? >:(
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 21:52:17 »
I have just ordered this and I am really looking forward to seeing It.  Heard so many good things about it.    :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 23:12:01 »
I recommended it for beginners really and I'm relieved you like it Kitty.  I find it very relaxing and a pleasure to watch.  It's a good to be able to dib into it when you feel like it or when you need to refresh your memory about something.  We've all been watching the bit about the tree bog as we are all new agey types and want a lav on the allotment  ;D    I like to sit and watch it with a bottle of wine when I'm on my own and have got time to relax.  I like the bit 'in my shed' and the skip raiders.  Well, most of it really  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 07:57:07 »
I agree with Kitty. Bring back some of those basic gardening progs or make new ones which concentrate on basic gardening/allotment techniques. I'm fed up with prog's that don't stick to what they're supposed to be about. Maybe most people who bothered to vote did so for a 'Jungle theme' on Gardeners world, but is that really about gardening? How many of us are going to make a jungle in the corner of the plot?
That there garden make-over with Charlie and Tommy does nothing for me either. I'd sit glued to the set if they concentrated on how to do just ONE thing, anything, even building a gazeebo or patio roof, anything so long as I can followit from start to finish and at the end of it could actually do the job.
More detail on less and less on the broader aspect would please me. There again, I'm a grumpy sod this morning, it's raining and I've run out of paraffin for my greenhouse heater. :-\

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 08:07:31 »
Kenkew
Its raining here as well and I was going to go and start to clear my newly aquiered plot.
Oh well I will have to try and quell my enthusiasm for the time being.

Im with you there are to many programs that do to many things all in an hour or less.
Surely the majority would sooner watch a program on one subject, and be able to do it afterwards.
Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 09:44:37 »
 ;) You made the right choice slugcatcher!! Went on mine, wheelbarrrow got bogged down in my clay. Had to get the dog to help tow it out.

But did get frame ready for netting to stop those **** pidgeons getting my peas.
Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 10:23:18 »
The wheel on my barrow has a puncture which has really   p***ed on my chips.  I wanted to put some soil etc in my new raised bed.   :(

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 16:26:58 »
wardy!i'm an aging hippy too(not implying you're aging-just we are similar...and... :-[....i'l get me coat.......!)

anyway-i was thinking about making a sawdust bogatarium in the garden-we are deprived here as we only have one.....ahem!facilityand it would be handy to have an outside netty for those emergencies when you cant take yer boots off again!
i think i'm turning into a shedoholic-we bought one...then another......now i have another place that would be just right for yet another shed...

my name is kitty and :-[......i cant keep away from sheds....... ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 17:00:32 »

Don't talk to me about wheelbarrows  >:(

Some **** pinched mine off my plot!!

Maybe hubby will construct a fence to replace the 'fence' I have at present

which does not keep out wheelbarrow thieves >:( >:( >:(

PS Ditto Kenkew I think most of the quick fix make -over garden programs are rubbish !!

Debs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal