Author Topic: Roses in a small container  (Read 1788 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Roses in a small container
« on: March 26, 2013, 21:13:06 »
My wife has been given some.  In the past we have always killed them any advice?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Roses in a small container
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 23:53:16 »
Do you mean those mini roses in wee pots?   I was given one in February and decided to pot it up.  Turned out to be 4 individual plants crammed into a 5" pot so they've been carefully separated and are growing on in a small window box on my window sill.   They've recovered from the trauma and are growing well and already have new flower buds. 

If they carry on doing well, they'll end up in the big pots by my front door with some summer bedding plants and should be big enough to go in the ground and fend for themselves by the autumn.
Obxx - Vendée France

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 00:33:49 »
We had a small red flowered rose in a small pot, an inexpensive grocery-store one. It was planted in the ground outside by the house, later replanted in an unprotected spot and it has produced bright flowers every year for maybe 4 years now. I haven't even covered it in the winter (this is Delaware, USA.)  Snip off the spent blooms and you might get more. Treat her like a little lady.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:14:50 »
I don't know whether these roses are all the same, but over the years I've planted out about a dozen, in my mum's rockery, full sun and open ground, and in a small raised bed of mine, sheltered and no sun, ever, and they've all thrived - I cut them hard back every autumn and they just keep going. Odd thing is they are now all the same colour flower, a sort of off-white - I don't like them much but I hate disposing of plants that want to grow!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal