Author Topic: Bolting Tomatoes and Chillies  (Read 3782 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
Bolting Tomatoes and Chillies
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:37:55 »
My tomato seedlings have bolted and are looking a bit leggy and this has happened repeatedly over the last few years. I always thought it was because I was planting them early and the days were short. After looking at this website linked below I have now realised that I have been overwatering them and not using vermiculite, so not letting enough air in to the roots.

http://www.tomatogrowing.co.uk/html/tomato_growing_tips.html

There are some good tips on this website, but this hasn't really been a problem in the past, not a major one anyway, because when I pot them on I always bury them up to the first leaves and the roots develop from the buried stem. Now I always thought that you could do the same thing with peppers and chillis, but this youtube link below that I watched today says that chillis don't like stem rooting and that when you prick them out you should pot them on at the same level that they germinated at. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWFA55vmxX8

You live and learn. Anyway this was perfect timing for me as I have pricked out my toms and chillis today to pot them on in 3" pots. I just thought I would share these links as they are top info imho.  :drunken_smilie: This guy on youtube owns a production nursery and he really knows his chillis!! Good stuff!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Bolting Tomatoes and Chillies
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:44:32 »
Mine have gone a touch leggy but have slowed down on the watering, bolting I'm not sure about, I use bolting as a term of going to seed, maybe just a language barrier.   :drunken_smilie:    :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:41 »
Bolting normally refers to the early or unseasonal flowering of plants.
Were your toms just getting drawn and leggy?
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:05 »
The term is "etiolated" I believe...

cestrian

• Half Acre
Leggy Tomatoes and Chillies
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 00:24:39 »
Yes sorry that's what I meant etiolated or leggy!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 13:56:15 »
Even barbecue charcoal  is cheaper than vermiculite and is carbon-negative if you put it in soil.

Obviously the stuff with firelighter in is useless (especially for barbecues - it stinks and takes longer to light than just lighting one coal - gas hob/blowlamp/gas lighter - and using a hairdryer or hot-air paintstripper).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal