Author Topic: Starting off Lettuce  (Read 2320 times)

zygote01

• Not So New ...
Starting off Lettuce
« on: March 11, 2013, 21:43:08 »
I have started off Lettuce in pots due to weather conditions being too cold to brave and sow direct into ground. My question is there anything I need to do when I plant out that will help make sure they take and not bolt and any recommendations on how everyone does start theirs i.e would doing trays work just as well all your ideas on starting your lettuce to put out would be greatly received.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Starting off Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 21:56:14 »
Hiya, zygote01, welcome to a4a  :toothy10:
We sow early lettuce in cell trays, polystyrene fish boxes and plastic troughs. this means we can keep them undercover until the weather picks up. We are over run with slugs here so it keeps them clean, too.
Early ones are put out under cloches but they do suffer from slugs  :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 22:19:35 »
I have started off Lettuce in pots due to weather conditions being too cold to brave and sow direct into ground. My question is there anything I need to do when I plant out that will help make sure they take and not bolt and any recommendations on how everyone does start theirs i.e would doing trays work just as well all your ideas on starting your lettuce to put out would be greatly received.

I sowed my first lettuces over six weeks ago and the plants are now big enough to plant under a cloche outside or in the greenhouse as soon as the weather gets a little better.  Lettuce can tolerate a few degrees of frost, especially under cloches.  They bolt in response to heat.  All lettuces will bolt, some sooner others later, but bolt they will eventually.   Nothing special needed when planting them out, but having a few days without frost will help them settling.  I prefer transplanting, which works well, others prefer sowing directly into the ground.

Lettuces have problems germinating during hot spells and summer heat causes them to bolt even when the plants are quite young.  Geoff Hamilton suggested transplanting half from the seed tray, then the second half two weeks later to space harvesting times.   

Starting now is definitely not too early. 

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 00:21:37 »
IN amongst  several strip-modules marked "poncy salads" there's one o fmini icebergs... once they've put on a few leaves I'll transplant to probably 15-cell trays and then onto either a patch destined for sweetcorn later on this year or else into som etroughs on the patio... probably a bit of both if I get enough....THey're a classic "hatch on the windowsill in an unheated propagator" plant IMHO...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:10 »
My overwintered lettuce aren't much cop this year but there are a few that may be worth eating once the weather picks up. 
I start all my lettuce in a seed trays and prick out to modules in the poly so that they have a decent root system before planting out (and are hardened off). 
I gave up on direct sowing years ago due to heavy soil and slug attack!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

zygote01

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 20:48:01 »
Thankyou for the info glad to know that starting off and not direct sowing is the way forward just hope I have enough room in coldframe for everything and I know they are only lettuce but just love the idea of coming back from lottie with lettuce rather than opening a pack of babyleaf salad.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal