Author Topic: sick hen  (Read 3310 times)

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
sick hen
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:26 »
hi all i think I've got a sick hen 3 weeks ago i got six hens all 20 weeks old and have all setteled in and had a few eggs of then but today when i went to feed em i noticed one was sat outside by it self with its eyes closed all the others where running about i walked up to the hen and picked it up it never even moved it did after abit flap its wings so i put her down near the food and she just sat there didn't even touch it she just standing there closing her eyes alot any help would be grateful thanks

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: sick hen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:13:21 »
Have u got a chicken friendly vet

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:18:34 »
That kind of 'hunch' is typical posture they take when they feel 'underweather'...reasons for that could be anything.
I would suggest you take her out of the pen as she just get bothered by the others and result for quick first aid. Good 'pick me up' is melting some white sugar into warm water..just to make sweet water, not syryp...or if you have glucose powder, that would do as well. Open the chickens beak and pour some in( with pipette/spoon/syringe/finger on straw method)..couple of small amounts, place her in carboard box/basket with some bedding underneath and place towel over so that she is in darkened enclosure feeling calm and secure. Give her bit of the water in couple small amount first in few times in a hour..letting her rest in between and if she start showing sings of perking up, slighly less often.
It is change that if she not actually 'sick' but just feels underweather and haven't had change for drink and feed that she is extremely run down. With bit of sugary water in her she should soon start feeling much better. After while she might be interested bit more solid treats..you could try her progress by offering something 'nice'..moistened bread grumbs or little amount wheat...normal pellets would be best but she might find it too boring to trouble herself with eating. If it has worked..return her into amongst others later on tonight when they've all gone to 'bed' and hopefully she will wake up and feel that she is part of 'gang'.
If it proper 'illness'..she is best kept separate for that reason too so it doesn't pass on to others. Progress with same sugar-water solution..sometimes these things do go away naturally but left in pen she won't get better just hen pecked. If 'worst' happen..at least she has had her last moments in peace.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:20:12 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:29:35 »
To add.
Can you tell what her droppings look like?
While your girl is separated..I would recommend little tidy up. Get the bedding off from their housing and change it to new one..wash the drinker and change the water. Add some more poultry grit and provide possible another source for it if there is only one 'spot' for it. And keep eye on others to spot any change of behaviour early on.
Vet is good idea..but it can be expensive job and without further knowlege of symptoms, their first approach would be good hydration and some soluble energy.
If it is just lack of water and food, the change in their condition happen quite rapidly, first with the lack of it and if not gone too far they pick up quickly too. When you attempt 'force feeding' with water..you will get dirty..particularly if she start to 'pick up'..she will fight your attempts for opening the beak and will splatter most of the liquid on you. But if she is starting to resist you vigourously..she is getting better too!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:32:20 by goodlife »

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:31:34 »
Thankyou will give it go

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:08 »
As Goodlife suggested  seperate her from the others and you could also give her some poultry spice and crushed garlic in her water.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:38:29 »
Do you know if she has layed any eggs yet?..if she has first one on its way..they can feel 'ill' for it. Has she made mess on her bottom feathers around the vent? While you attempt give her a drink and she is on your lap..feel with your finger around the vent and gently press the skin around it..does it feel like she could be 'bunged up'?...remedy for that is sit her in warm water to soften the tissue and little bit of vaselin around the vent to keep it soft. When you 'feel' her..remember how you 'stuff' chicken..she has 2 big breast muscles pointing towards the vent..and then there is the hole between the muscles in the carcass...where stuffing would go. That hole is the area you are aming to feel. You might not be able to 'do' it this time..but as you pick your girls up ..if you habitually 'feel' them you will soon start learning the feeling of 'normal' and 'egg is on the way'.
I would not do anything for it as yet..she will need to feel better before she is able to take any more intrusion for her condition.
Just gentle feeling, 'water treatment' and rest for now.
You'll find that when you look after your chickens you will learn lot of tricks to keep your girls healthy..you cannot win every time but most of time there reason and remedy's are very simple.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:45:16 by goodlife »

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:54 »
To be honest i know if she layed any eggs ive only had three and she has the smallest comb so it might be they are picking on her will keep checking

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 13:01:29 »
Usually 'hen pecking' happens when one is much smaller than others or there is something wrong with it..or it has something 'out of normal' happened (like broken feather sticking out of shape), or there is new bird added into flock..anything 'new' and they will investigate it. If that 'new' cannot/will stand up to it, there is great temptation from other to truly bully it and what started perharps with just little attention may get to the stage that 'one' is not allowed to eat and drink....and then things start to go from bad to worst.  By now your flock should have sorted their pecking order..though those that come to lay first are usully higher in rank. Once they all lay there could have been another, entirely different order again.
While they are maturing and getting themselves settled, it is good idea to provide another feeding spot so that all of them have chance to have a good feed. Laying hens are alway SO HUNGRY and will dominate the feeder if given change.
You say it has 'smallest comb'..is her body size smaller than others as well? The comb size itself should not be the issue..

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 17:50:40 »
i have checked to see if she bunged up there is no sign of this and has a bit of mess round her bottom feathers also Ive been out all day and went straight down to see her when i got back and she was just layed in middle of the shed so i picked her up to her feet she seams very unsteady while standing I've gave her some sugar water and also boxed part of the shed of for her plenty of straw and fresh water ,pellets and bread crumbs will check her in morning

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:00 »
just been down to see her i thought she was dead she was layed on her side not moving it was only when i picked her up i realised she was alive I've gave her some more sugar water but don't think she goin to last the day i tried to stand her up but she just keeps falling to one side so i put her back in her pen and she just layed down on her side making some funny noices

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:27:29 »
You need to get her to a get her to a vet this morning to put her out of her misery.
To leave her wouldnt be right. The poor girl

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:17:55 »
Yep..it is vet time or are you confident doing 'it' yourself?
Is other girls fine?..no signs of any unusual behaviour or change in health?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal