Author Topic: what a kill  (Read 2986 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
what a kill
« on: March 08, 2013, 19:58:50 »
I heard a thud outside my bedroom window and the birds screaching in the tree ,I got up to have a look, and there 3ft from my window a smallish hawk had just grabbed a blackbird and was in the throughs of killing it, I had the urge to try to shoo the hawk, then I thought that was his meal and he may not have got anything that day to eat.It sat for a bit until the catch was dead then he flew of  with his catch the hawk was lovely speckled about the size of a woodpidgen.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: what a kill
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 18:37:52 »
It sounds as though it was a sparrowhawk.

I just wish that they would attack and eat the woodpigeons whose numbers are growing out of control, rather than go for the garden birds. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: what a kill
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 19:51:13 »
That reminds me of an exhibit in the University Museum of Natural History in Oxford. Once upon a time - I don't know when but I think it was way back - there was a crash, and they found a blackbird dead on the floor, under a broken window, and a sparrowhawk dead outside. Both birds were stuffed and mounted in the positions they were found in. So one's lying on what appears to be the floor, surrounded by bits of broken glass, and the other is lying on an imitation gravel path.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal