Author Topic: Latvian soup peas  (Read 5311 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Latvian soup peas
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:52:59 »
Realseeds have sold out for this year and I was wondering if anybody has few spare for a swap?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:55:53 by goodlife »

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Latvian soup peas
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:39:04 »
Yes and you are more than welcome ,pm me and I will do the honours.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:42:13 »
 :icon_cheers:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 20:25:46 »
Got any more spare, Markfield?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:14 »
Morning Robert, as goodlife has she she did not want too many there a few spare. PM  me.

Annemieke

• Quarter Acre
    • Thought for Food
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 15:08:54 »
What are Latvian soup peas?
I have been cooking 'mushy peas' for soup, but always have to use the mixer on them because the skins are a bit hard. Then there are split peas, but (I know, I'm difficult) they are without their skin, so not so wholesome?
If the Latvians are as good as they sound, I could try and get some myself next year.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil.

Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 16:40:43 »
Latvian peas are very hardy peas and can be sown very early under bottles (Feb).  The have very pretty purple/pink flowers and are worth growing just for that.  Very early the peas are very sweet but rather small but very good for an early browse.  Tend to be the first sweeties from the lottie.  Later on they produce small yellow spotted peas.  Mine never get that far except for keeping for next year.   

For soup the Latvian Christmas pea is better, it has huge footballs of peas only four mature in each pod.  Gorgeous flowers in pairs again pink and purple, not good for eating except for souping.  The voles love them so for me to get them to maturity is not easy.

Both are excellent as decorative windbreaks as they put up with the ravages of Mr NW Wind Esq which rips through my site.   By the time the courgettes/sweetcorn/french beans go in there will be a wall of them on my lotties.  They will also climb up other things so nice through roses, or soft fruit bushes.   

Skins are not particularly thick. 

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:50 »
Robert ,they will be with you soon.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:14 »
Annemieke, if I manage to save some from this season and you are interested I could send you some.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:49 »
Peas have just landed...! :toothy10: THAAAAANK YOU  :sunny:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 19:44:56 »
Ok..a question..how tall does Latvian soup peas grow? I don't seem to find any info about it.

edit to add...
Ah, cancel that question. I just noticed it.. tall..

wye not

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:43 »
Hi  :wave: does anyone have any Latvian Christmas peas they could swap? I've got Carlin peas which I've been growing for a few years and seem reliable and tasty . They grow about as tall as mange tout and luckily seem to thrive on neglect.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 20:28:53 »
Now at the moment I don't have any Latvian peas. But I am growing Latvian garlic, I have been presented with 3 small Latvian purple spuds[?Shetland blue] and have a Latvian wonder woman whose offer to bring me more seeds I turned down--having  just received a Jayb wonder parcel...
However any more springs like this one and I shall be moving my allegiance to anything that can grow in Latvia, Finland etc. I will try to get hold of some peas but can't promise for this growing season. Maybe could get the name of a Latvian seed site... Happy to help  :happy7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal