Author Topic: What seeds are you sowing?  (Read 16934 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What seeds are you sowing?
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2013, 19:21:29 »
A couple more peas, brassicas, mainly kales, and TPS. It was quite warm on the plot today, so I'm going to put some wrinkle-seeded peas in next.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2013, 17:24:11 »
Everything in my seed box tomorrow, some years out of date, but who cares.  Don't really want 320 broccoli plants.  Not planted at allotment yet, just in plastic greenhouse and lean to.  Tom seeds looking good.  :sunny:

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2013, 12:50:23 »
flipping heck. It was sunny and windy and seedlings are fine outside in their root trainers then all of a sudden with no warning, hail with quite some force. I am so glad that most trainers were under enviromesh cages but not all. What dodgy weather again, so unlike april of past years. No gentle fine rain so far

I would say that all my seeds are sown now, beans in cold greenhouses and squash and courgettes indoors, only little sowings left like salad stuff. Looks as though this year will be an in/out year, particularly next weekend.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2013, 17:48:51 »
Same on my plot. I managed to put in Simpson's Special and Magnum Bonum, and plant some onion sets, with a few shallots mixed up with them. These were small sets I hadn't bothered to put in earlier, but which I then mistook for onions. The first peas I planted are starting to come up.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2013, 23:36:58 »
I planted turnips, spring onions, florence fennel and raddish today. First rows of peas, mangetout and sugar snap peas earlier in the week. All in the greenhouse at the moment.

Squash and courgette plants moved from the window sills to big pots in the greenhouse this week. Toms and chillis are still on the window sills, but getting a bit leggy. I may pot them up in the greenhouse at the weekend too.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:17 »
I decided to bring all the bean seed trainers in the house today and they are on the floor, on warmth retaining stone tiles, in covered trays. It was just too cold last night and I am aware that they might rot and not germinate where they were, in a cold greenhouse. I have made space for all the tenders to come in at night, from tonight, for a few days at least. Warm sunny days = freezing nights at this time of year

Tricky year this year so beetroot seeds are in modules and even swedes, first time for me re swedes but they are in polythene pots that I can cut open to plant out

By the way I have numbers down to a fine art on my plot, thanks to my dt brown free trial of their planner. It is fantastic to use, so much so that I have bought the sub

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2013, 13:08:14 »
It is a bit warmer here, more than 20deg this week, and no frost at least even if cooler at night. This weekend I will sow parsnips, tall peas and some Mangetout peas too, and keep sowing radish. I also need to get my seedbed finished and start to sow out the later crops: sprouts, pak choi, cabbage,  summer cauliflowers.
Indoors I think I will start off a couple of cucumbers and courgettes, to get a head start, and plant them out under cloche first week of May.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal