Author Topic: What seeds are you sowing?  (Read 16965 times)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: What seeds are you sowing?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 21:48:24 »
Today, on ground cultivated in January, covered in black polyprop tarpaulin last 2 weeks;
parsnips, turnips, 40 day turnips, short carrot, giant red carrot,
Bought seed from the real seed co.uk online (orders @realseeds.co.uk) this year for the first time. So far the rate of germination appears to about 98% on plantings in modules in the polytunnel, Brassicas various.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2013, 05:44:02 »
Romanesco yesterday evening.   :coffee2:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2013, 10:52:02 »
My turnips have just started to show in the cold frame!  :toothy10:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2013, 15:36:35 »
With a bit of luck this weekend I will be able to prepare the seedbed at long last (temps are at least no longer freezing!) and sow cabbage, romanesco, chard, leeks and salads. I will also try to do half a row (let's not get carried away! ) of early carrot and parsnips and turnips (unless the early sowings have finally showed through!). I might try to do some more peas if I have time, and I have some herb and flower seeds too that could be done - all under fleece and plastic of course!!!
Also have to get in the last spuds and some more spring onion sets.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2013, 15:58:21 »
My tomatoes were doing quite well in the kitchen on the window cill, hot in there, but I have moved them to the lean to, which gets very hot when the sun is out, but they don't look too happy, but hopefully they will be OK, after they have got over the shock.  Everything is very slow this year, the only thing that is coming up is my peas in pots, which I have just put in the plastic greenhouse (unheated, of course).  Well luckily I have plenty of seeds so can sow more when it really warms up.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2013, 17:29:24 »
Round-seeded peas. The wrinkled ones can wait till it's warmer. It's getting to the point where I can plant other things, but I haven't been through the tins yet.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2013, 18:44:07 »
courgettes and squash sown indoors today. It will be min 7 tonight so all seedlings and small plants will be able to stay either out or in unheated greenhouse and that includes tomatoes and chillis, which look very strong now. I must get to the allotment and clear a bed for parsnips.I believe that they like min 10 in the ground so I`ll cover with black weed fabric for a few days and perhaps sow 7-10 days after that.

Tbh, it has been a godsend for me to have the planning done last year for this year, including the numbers of plants that I want. Stopped me sowing too many seeds

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2013, 19:05:46 »
Sweetcorn for inside  :icon_cheers:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2013, 20:33:12 »
Oh gosh..you lot are talking about almost tropical plants now. We still got frozen soil in places and in shady places piles of snow.. :BangHead:
It will for while yet that I'll be able to sow any corn or courgettes...though I did prepared my builders bag planters last weekend and they almost ready for some courgettes..once the weather warm up!!!!

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2013, 19:20:03 »
what, piles of snow still in the not so distant land of north notts? has it melted just a tad more today, goodlife?? it's meant to be 20c this sunday, so enjoy your last bits of snow whilst it lasts, eh!:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2013, 19:57:10 »
what, piles of snow still in the not so distant land of north notts? has it melted just a tad more today, goodlife?? it's meant to be 20c this sunday, so enjoy your last bits of snow whilst it lasts, eh!:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
I can hardly tell any difference if it has melted tad or not...it has FINALLY started to rain so perharps now the last of the snow drift piles will disappear. ENJOY!!??? :angry5:...I can hardly wait until next winter.. :tongue3: :angel11: No +20c over here..just 14 was promised for us..that's if the sun don't drown before that..

Anyhow..thats enough of the weather..I've been sowing some herb seeds.. :toothy10: pricking out some seedlings...potting up some scented geraniums...doing some cuttings...LOTS of compost therapy :icon_cheers: Soon is time to start over spilling the pots and trays into unheated GH..windowsills and floor don't take much more..I even have grow lamps wrigged up under the bed and some reflective panelling there too..to keep my tomato plants totally cosy.. :icon_cheers:

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2013, 20:26:18 »
c'mon, goodlife, it will be a bit nicer and warm from next week as they say: have faith in our weather forecasters as they haven't been wrong so far this winter... :angel11:

my GH is 3/4 full already and the window tables (sills too narrow) will be filled up soon enough. seedlings still tiny though. have my tommies and chillis at friend's as they helped me start them off in their HM propagator (blown up now, so didn't last long!) so will have to reclaim them soon enough!

how much are the gro-lamps cost to run if you don't mind me asking?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2013, 20:37:07 »

Absolutely no idea. I've got two 'energy saving type bulbs and they are on timers. I don't see any noticeable difference to my energy useage during these few months that they are switch on.
This sort of bulbs.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45w-Blue-Spectrum-6400k-CFL-grow-light-lamp-bulb-ES-E27-/200497172938?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item2eae9011ca

I'll let you to do the running cost calculations...
edit to add; just noticed..there is some calculations sown on the page..

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 20:39:56 by goodlife »

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2013, 22:30:44 »
Lettuce, calabrese, rocket, Flakkee carrot, Telephone peas, spring onion, cucumber and coriander if it's warm enough.

Total re-sow of the beetroot, plus Aprils' sowing, and more Chantenay carrots if the last sowing doesn't show their faces soon. Roll on Monday, that's when I get busy.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2013, 22:49:28 »

Absolutely no idea. I've got two 'energy saving type bulbs and they are on timers. I don't see any noticeable difference to my energy useage during these few months that they are switch on.
This sort of bulbs.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45w-Blue-Spectrum-6400k-CFL-grow-light-lamp-bulb-ES-E27-/200497172938?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item2eae9011ca

I'll let you to do the running cost calculations...

haven't got my brain wired in to work out the costings. maybe they are cheaper than i thought they would be. i managed to save myself £300 just by having just 3 nights worth of gas fire on for the duration of the whole winter period (yes, i'm prone to  getting chilblains and contracted them 3x this year!)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:42 »
That typo shows what my brain has been really thinking :glasses9: :icon_cheers:
I had good 'old' forage in my seedbox last night..sorting some seeds that I 'need' to sow next...and it was impossible job..just going through different brassica options resulted big pile of chosen packets.. :BangHead:..now I'm asking myself 'how many acres my allotment space was again?' :BangHead: (answer;not even a one)
 And could I find a single packet of brussels???!! :BangHead:..thought that I had 'tons'..that means only one thing...SHOPPING! :icon_cheers:
Today is BIG sowing day..found so many things in box that I didn't 'remember' I 'need' to sow...kales, collards, cabbages, caulis, broccoli, more lettuce, cape gooseberries, more parsley, more basil, more coriander.. :icon_cheers:

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2013, 08:02:15 »
There were some little Brussels in the parcel :icon_cheers:.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:04:07 by grannyjanny »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 08:25:40 »
There were some little Brussels in the parcel :icon_cheers:.
EH?!!!....I must have another look... :icon_cheers: I've got seeds all over the place at the moment :glasses9:

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2013, 07:57:42 »
Black cherry toms. Thank you, Lishka xx

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2013, 16:10:29 »
A line of Charlottes yesterday and some sweetcorn as soon as I finish on here.   :blob7:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal