Author Topic: What seeds are you sowing?  (Read 16956 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
What seeds are you sowing?
« on: February 16, 2013, 00:36:11 »
It looks like the snow has passed and the weather might be picking up. The evenings are definitely getting lighter! What seeds are you sowing and where - indoors on a window sill, in a cold frame or in the greenhouse?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What seeds are you sowing?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:10:24 »
The tomato challenge and other toms, peppers and cucumbers in the prop next week, small cabbage and calabrese will be in the unheated poly but covered, salad box in a polystyrene box are already sprouting. I've got ground warming up for early carrots, they will be under fleece and I will be starting some parsnips chitting . Then of course, there are the herbs  :toothy10:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:37:49 »
I've got chillies, aubergines, leeks, spring onions and giant onions and cabbage
in the greenhouse.  I'll start some tomatoes next week. 

The only things outside are broad beans which I sowed last November.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:16:23 »
Onions, tomatoes, basil, indoor cukes, parsley, peppers - propogator to start, now on a sunny windowsill, as usual not enough room even though I'm giving aubergines a miss this year. Oh, and dahlias, coleus and morning glories altough I wasn't going to bother with flowers...it just somehow seems to happen!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 14:50:08 »
I have not started my seeds yet I am waiting for it to warm up a little. I have a unheated greenhouse so I think it is a little cool for me to start just yet. I will be sowing my onions in early march. I normally sow them on march 3rd as I have always had a good crop when sown on that date. What I might try this year is to sow a week earlier and put them on my windowsill and see if that makes any difference.

I will be starting me seeds soon though. After I have ordered a few that is :P
Be kind to slugs and snails!

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 15:42:33 »
Have onions cabbage cauli toms and lettuce going all in the greenhouse which is heated overnight at the moment. Interested to see some off you have started your cucumbers. I did start them early last year but lost them all (collapsed). Spoke to a local nursery about this and he told me this was due to the lack of sun with the weather being so wet and dismal. So left them till mid April and they were ok. The variety was carmen an indoor female type and I had some great results. Would be interested to know what cucumbers you guys are growing and if you experienced similar problems last year as myself.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:34:26 »
tomatoes and leeks next week, little gem are up outside on a window cill and will prick out today. I already have onions, garlic, shallots and spring cabbage up and doing well . Chillis sown in a propagator in january are growing steadily indoors. I can`t think of anything else yet, too early for most stuff and anyway I am sowing far less this year as had far too much last year. Would like early carrots but they just do not grow well here on clay so am not bothering

marcofez

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 23:54:12 »
Chilli peppers, sweet peppers, onions, cabbages, aubergines, chives, rocket, peas, sweet peas and banana shallot seeds. These are what I have been sowing last few weeks.
Outside I have garlic and overwintering onions growing steadily! :blob7:

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 19:28:17 »
All indoor sowings as have spare room south west facing:

calabrese, various tomatoes, sweet red pointed peppers, chillis, miniature cucumber (picolino) which i shall hopefully save seed from as they are sooo expensive,
rocket.

Thats all for now but fingers are getting itchy :toothy10:

Debs

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 19:50:56 »
Today I started the spring sowing (hurrah).. Maincrop onions of various types, three sorts of shallots (last years very successful Prisma and Banana have been joined by Camelot), some round carrots and radishes in bedding strips, two sorts of alpine strawberries, a couple of trays of the Broad Bean "Express" plus a rootrainer kit of the dwarf french bean "Speedie". They're all indoors on windowsills, and the French beans, strawberries, shallots adn some of the onions have heat under them too. THe speedie's will probably live their entire lives in troughs in the greenhouse, they're a bit of a gamble really this early in the year, but they are so fast I reckon it's worth a go...

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 20:41:11 »
We're off!
I sowed tomatoes and chillies last night. Shallot sets went in last week.  :happy7:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 21:11:52 »
Trying to root some slips from one Wave petunia I bought and seeded tall snapdragons, one is orange. Too early to plant toms.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 22:55:18 »
Sowed my chitted toms today.  Only coyote refused to chit.  Found some seeds but I never labelled them so don't exactly know what they are.  Might try a couple just to see.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 00:29:52 »
I have not started my seeds yet I am waiting for it to warm up a little. I have a unheated greenhouse so I think it is a little cool for me to start just yet. I will be sowing my onions in early march. I normally sow them on march 3rd as I have always had a good crop when sown on that date. What I might try this year is to sow a week earlier and put them on my windowsill and see if that makes any difference.

I will be starting me seeds soon though. After I have ordered a few that is :P

I think you are right not to be in too much of a rush. Seedlings catch up quickly and grow away strongly but it's hard to hold them back and prevent them getting leggy if you sow too early. PD cold where I am.

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 12:59:35 »
Ground's been frozen for weeks and still was this weekend, temps of -1 & -2, bitterly cold so no plot of me. Watched rugby on Saturday but spent a few hours in the greenhouse on Sunday morning. Fired up the old propagator and sowed some celeriac, toms, chili peppers, peppers, onions, caulis & minicole cabbages. I love this time of year after the dormancy of Winter - could be a little warmer though ....

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 19:57:00 »
All indoor sowings as have spare room south west facing:

calabrese, various tomatoes, sweet red pointed peppers, chillis, miniature cucumber (picolino) which i shall hopefully save seed from as they are sooo expensive,
rocket.

Thats all for now but fingers are getting itchy :toothy10:

Debs

Unfortunately saving seeds from Picolino is a gamble, as it is an F1 hybrid and won't breed true.

Have never started calabrese this early.  How do you sow them?  Individual pots one per seed or prick out or?  Would like to start brassica earlier, but haven't had good experience and lost many through damping off.

I have just started on the peas in the frostfree conservatory, peppers are being moved into individual pots, parsley is up, tomatillo is up too.  Tomatoes in the next week or two.

BigTomato

• Rossi din gradina
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:03 »
Tomatoes, chilli peppers, sweet peppers, onions, garlic, aubergines, cucumbers, melons, watermelons, zucchini, pumpkins

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:48 »
Big Tomato, Hi and Welcome to Allotments 4 All   :wave:
Nice looking blog (I used google translate) looking forward to hearing more about your garden and the varieties you are growing.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 12:33:23 »
Welcome Big Tomato.  I like your self watering seed system.  I use a lot of plastic bottles and love this new use.  I am due to do on holiday in May and will have some plants that are not ready to go outside and OH is not very reliable they are usually over watered or bone dry.

As my Romanian does not seem to be any good, I also used Google translate, but some words get missed so it can be a bit hit miss.  I can get the front page translated but do not seem to be able to find a way to get the others done.

Are you really sowing zucchini etc already? 

I have sown parsley, calebrese, lettuce, leeks.  Trying early sowing of summer broccoli Sante.  Celery.  Chilli Peppers.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 08:44:23 »
chillis are about 3 inches tall and strong, were sown in january. I did tomatoes and leeks a few days ago and little gem are sitting ok in a cold greenhouse after pricking out, I did those in january. Onions, garlic and shallots were autumn planted, so no worries there. Nothing else now, just waiting for longer days. Oh lady christi are slowly chitting. Two beds getting tidyied up today so slow and steady with me, no point in rushing things too  early. makes no difference in the end and I am not bothering with carrots on the allotment, they just don`t grow well in that clay soil, hasn`t been worth the effort. Oh yes aquadulce broad beans are thriving outside in root trainers, after sowing in january, will be ready to plant out in march, very strong plants
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:47:03 by strawberry1 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal