Author Topic: Youview  (Read 2722 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Youview
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:01:22 »
Does anyone know the pros and cons of this new gadget?

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Youview
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 13:02:01 »
I couldn't make out if it was a mini duke box or a coffeemaker.  All was revealed when I double clicked on it though. 

I would certainly recommend Vax.  We have one of the bigger ones and have been very pleased with ours over the years.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 18:06:54 »
Are you referring to the FreeView+ HD with built in I-Player, 4OD ect being touted by Sir Alan Sugar[spit]?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 19:20:11 »
Thanks for replies.  Not sure what it is.  Something on which you can recall any program, from what I can catch on the advert.   It is not the freeview box which allows you to acess extra programs. 
 I can't face watching ads.  I just record all except the news, so just saw part of an ad..

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 20:24:00 »
This is the device

Humax DTR-T1000 YouView Digital TV Recorder

It is a Freeview HD recorder, but if you miss something on BBC, ITV or C4 you can go back in the guide and you can view it over the internet with the built in i-player/4OD/ITV player.

There is meant to be the units that do not record coming out soon.

There are some other channels you can also view over the internet, but you have to pay extra for these.

I already use the BBC i-player on my xbox connected to my tv for any BBC programs I have missed.

The ITV and C4 players stick a load of adverts at the beginning and in the middle that you can't skip, so I don't want these so I will be sticking with what I have at the moment.

I think there are a lot of other systems that don't have the ITV/C4 players but have a lot of other features, which is what I would go for if I was upgrading.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 20:27:29 by Chrispy »
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 21:30:13 »
How very strange.  When I looked at your posting Tomatoada, there was a picture of a small Vax machine.  Now there is no picture there at all! 

Maybe the picture was an A4A advert but how did other posters know what it was that you were interested in?  :dontknow:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:37:35 »
I have had one of these for about a year now. You can get them for about £35 if you shop around. Very small and stows away without loads of extra wires.
http://www.roku.com/uk

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 19:21:42 »
Thanks for replies.
I would love to know about the VAX picture.  Not looking for one at the moment but will remember your comment.
 Ace .  Seems to be what I have seen.   Will investigate further.  Not connected to WI Fi yet.
Thanks all.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:52 »
If you are on BT or Talk Talk you can get the service as part of a package.  The good thing about the box/service is that it puts everything in one place - TV/catch up/recorded porgrams..  If you have crap broadband or download limits (this will plug into your router) then it isnt going to work well.  IF you have a smart TV then you probably have a lot of these functions anyway - I have iPlayer, record to USB etc already so it's not for everyone. 

To be honest in a few years I figure all this will be standard on freeview boxes anyway..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 17:20:27 »
I got a Youview box from Talktalk as part of our package with unlimited calls & broadband. They wanted us to pay £50 installation fee which we negtiated down to £25. I think it is fairly simple to set up but we had just moved and we ended up re routing the telephone line so it would all fit nicely. Benefit if you are not a techno head,
It's handy when you want to record a whole series at one push of a button. You can watch a lot of programmes from the past 7 days and a lot of other programmes that you wouldn't have access to on a normal Freeview tv.
You also have access to subscibe to extra channels that you do need to pay for such as Sky etc. This also applies to Movies, Sports event such as a boxing match and American box sets.
Great if you want to spend your life in front of the box but not for us !!
Takes a bit of time finding how to get around the Menus but I find it great for recording the odd decent programmes and then watching it at my leisure. Hope this helps
Bring back Spotty Dog........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal