Author Topic: melon question  (Read 1561 times)

small

• Hectare
melon question
« on: July 15, 2013, 16:46:15 »
This might belong in the 'under glass' bit, but that's part of my question....a friend gave me 2 plants of 'musk melon', grown from James Wong seeds. I've got them in the greenhouse, they are growing very long and trailing and flowering profusely - but all male flowers.
I don't have access to the original instructions - is the greenhouse the right place? How can I encourage some female flowers? Has anyone grown these successfully? I'm sure there is a melon expert out there somewhere....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: melon question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:03 »
All cucurbits can start with a flush of male flowers... has it been going on for more than a week?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 13:15:22 »
they are growing very long and trailing and flowering profusely

I think the clue is in here!

As I understand it Melons want to be stopped at five / six real leaves to encourage breaks (side shoots)

Its from these side shoots that the melons ( female flowers) grow!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 18:32:45 »
We moved our compost bin a while ago & I have melons growing round the bin. I think I'll leave them & see what happens unless anyone can advice what I should do, please.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 20:58:44 »
Yes, they've been flowering for ages, and no I haven't stopped/chopped them! Gah! I'll go out there now and give them some grief, they are doing no good as they are. Thanks!

Slugcrusher

• Not So New ...
  • Nothing personal - it's just them or me
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 17:30:41 »
Musk melons should be grown in a greenhouse rather than a cold frame and trained up as a single cordon. You need to let it grow up to the eaves about five to six foot then pinch out the growing tip. Tie in the lateral shoots horizontally and stop at five leaves, from the lateral shoots side shoots will develop and female flowers will appear on these. You need to stop these two leaves after a flower. Pollination is usually by insects, but you can pollinate by hand, strip the petals off a male flower and press it into the female flower one male for every four female flowers. When the fruits start to develop about the size of a walnut select four the same size on each plant and pinch off the rest, water generously and feed every week. I support my developing fruit with the netting from supermarket fruit trays as they can become very heavy, you should know when they are ready when they get to a decent size and smell musky- enjoy. :toothy10:   

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:20 »
Thanks for that very detailed reply, slugcrusher, I have one embryo female appeared now so I don't think that I will need to stop at four per plant.....I need more room than I've got to grow these, really, but I'll follow your advice as best I can.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal