Author Topic: Treating Chicken House  (Read 3624 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Treating Chicken House
« on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:30 »
Hi All,

I have got myself a small wooden chicken house. It hasnt been used but is weathered. I want to treat the outside with a preservative or varnish to tidy it up. Is there any type of preservative/varnish that I should not use.

I have not kept chickens before so any advice would be geatly appreciated. I am going to start building a fully enclosed walk in run in the next few weeks. I aim to keep three or four hens. This is in my garden not at the lottie.

Thanks
Steve

steve1967

• Half Acre
Re: Treating Chicken House
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:42:29 »
Starting to think I have asked a stupid question since there have been no replies  :tongue3:.

This is a new venture for me so any advice would be great  :happy7:

persecuted unlimited

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:59:17 »
i just paint my coup with a water base preservative and have had no problems, good luck with your chucks and enjoy all those lovely eggs.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:20:52 »
Its all fine especially when theres not yet any ladies in there.
Good luck with your new girls.
My advice would be that if its a second hand coop then treat the inside with either perservative or give it a going over with very strong bleach to get rid of any mites that might be hanging on.

Thats what I will be doing today with my new to me coop.
post some photos of your ladies once you get them

can definately recomend sussex bantams mine are awesome layers and lovely girls.
x Sunloving

darren69

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:52:24 »
I always use Jeyes Fluid on my coops to clean them - Creosote inside and out to prevent red mite!

Plus use ant powder after mucking out - stops red mite - Red mite powder 9-10 quid ant powder £2.00
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:57:11 by darren69 »

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:44:51 »
Thanks for all your advice.

I have noticed the coop I have has no ventilation holes to allow air to circulate. Should I drill some hole for this but I am not sure where they should go. I am desperatly trying to attach a pic of my coop to this message but cant seem to do it. It is quite small with an apex roof and nest box on the back.

If someone can tell me how to attach a pic I will try again.

Sunloving great pic hopefully have my own hens soon.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 18:40:04 »
As you said it is well worn,  I would also treat the inside with a sulphur candle.  My chicken house gets a sulphur treatment every year or there abouts. 

I have noticed the coop I have has no ventilation holes to allow air to circulate. Should I drill some hole for this but I am not sure where they should go.

Drill the holes near the top but below where the roof overlaps the walls.  Something like these but you can get them much cheaper at places such as B&Q:

http://www.ukdrills.com/product.php?catid=305

When the holes are drilled, put some fine mesh / small holed chicken wire over them.  Don't put the vent holes at the bottom or they will get blocked by bedding and make easy access points for the unwanted wildlife and beasties.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:11:45 »
To post a photo either pay the subscription to this site ot put them on photo bucket then copy the IMG code into your mail.

Good luck
x Sunloving

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 14:51:26 »
Thanks Kt for the advice and the link.

Sunloving thanks didnt realise you had to pay. Is photo bucket easy to use?

sunloving

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:17 »
Hi Steve yes it is easy it prompts you to do things and is free.
I find it very useful and quite straight forward to paste photos into forums like this one for free.

You upload your photos from your computer then select the one you want pick share img code which copies the link then paste this into your mail .
Good luck with coop hens and photos
x Sunloving

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 17:05:29 »
Bit of a late reply, but use creosote or creosote substitute inside, and a water based external wood treatment outside (or more creosote)

Leave 3 weeks to air before introducing chooks.

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 13:41:56 »
Thanks sunloving I will give it a try. Thanks to you all for your advice  :sunny:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal