Author Topic: Whitefly  (Read 2928 times)

jesssands

• Acre
Whitefly
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:27 »
noticed I have some whitefly on a couple house plants.
Can anyone recommend a suitable spray that works to get rid of it please?

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Whitefly
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:07:35 »
Last week I found hundreds of whitefly on my pelagoniums which were overwintering indoors.  I took them to the sink and washed them off and kept an eye on them, removing any whitefly by hand as they appeared.  They now seem to be clear of them.  I have tried sprays in the past but have not been very successful with them.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:22 »
Thanks Pauline, I did that a couple of weeks ago, now their back!! maybe I need to check every couple days.
They are loving a begonia my mother bought me last march. It flowered til christmas, was amazing, and the fact that I have managed to keep it alive all this time. Will go give it a wash now x x

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 16:49:06 »
They are almost impossible to erradicate completely. You will need to keep washing your house plants for at leat three weeks as whitefly eggs can take that long to incubate.

Being non edible plants you could use a systemic insecticide that the plant takes up poisoning the pests when they take a bite or suck some or the plant's sap.

But for now the washing method is probably best. :happy7:

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:38 »
Do remember that sprays only kill adult flies leaving eggs and larva. In a warm place a whole life span can take place in 3 days, so if you are spraying you need to do it at 3 day intervals for a few times.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal