Author Topic: Agralan Compact Plug Trainer  (Read 4218 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Agralan Compact Plug Trainer
« on: February 04, 2013, 15:55:27 »
Hello all.

I got bought a couple of these for Xmas. I was just wondering whether anyone else has one and what vegetables you've started in it?

Regards

Bluecar

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Agralan Compact Plug Trainer
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 17:12:05 »
I don't have any of those but I do grow most of my veg in plug trays of varying depth.

At around £12 a time I don't think I will bother.

I find that an old dinner fork, or sweet fork (as I use) does the extraction job just as well as yours will.

In fact years ago I seem to recall a polystyrene version of one of these!

What I find with cells is they don't ALWAYS remain truly vertical, and as you apply the pressure to push them out any that are out of 'true vertical'  offer a resistance, and you sometimes end up having to use other means, e.g. a fork,  to extract the plugs.

I would guess it should be OK for the first few uses but once it gets a bit brittle it loses more of its effectiveness!

For your sake I hope I am wrong and the aforementioned is only an opinion!

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 17:54:08 »
I have used roottrainers for many years and if you treat them with respect, they do last.   They are also slightly larger cells - the larger ones ideal for runner beans and sweet peas and the smaller ones for other plants.   I have been thinking about an Agralan but am going to stick with Roottrainers.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 18:44:03 »
Hello Tee Gee/MerfF.

I use root trainers for runner beans/french beans. They work very well for me although the ones I buy are flimsy and last just about last 4 years.

It is, as it says, a compact plug trainer - see http://www.agralan.co.uk/Retail_Customers/Compact_Plug_Plant_Trainer_Deals?product_id=16107

I believe Tee Gee because of its compactness and robustness there will be less risk of them not pushing out cleanly (but not sure). As for the £12, nowadays I struggle to give ideas for Xmas and birthdays so something different seems a reasonable punt. I'm certain I shall be able to use them for a number of flower seed varieties, I just wondered whether anyone had used them successfully by starting veg seeds in them.

Regards

Bluecar

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 16:26:13 »
I have one and the rootrainers as well. They've got different uses really the root trainers are brilliant for broad beans, beans etc. I grew herbs in it last year when I got it and they did well and plugs pop out easily the plastic is robust unlike the root trainers and fits nicely on a window will.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 18:21:51 »
Hello Tee Gee/MerfF.

I use root trainers for runner beans/french beans. They work very well for me although the ones I buy are flimsy and last just about last 4 years.

It is, as it says, a compact plug trainer - see http://www.agralan.co.uk/Retail_Customers/Compact_Plug_Plant_Trainer_Deals?product_id=16107

I believe Tee Gee because of its compactness and robustness there will be less risk of them not pushing out cleanly (but not sure). As for the £12, nowadays I struggle to give ideas for Xmas and birthdays so something different seems a reasonable punt. I'm certain I shall be able to use them for a number of flower seed varieties, I just wondered whether anyone had used them successfully by starting veg seeds in them.

Regards

Bluecar

I've got all my celery and celeriacs in them as we speak. It's a sturdy thing so it will last years. Not like the root trainers which start to crack pretty swiftly.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 19:19:26 »
Thanks for your comments. Any further thoughts on what I could start in them? I was thinking perhaps beetroot and lettuce?

Regards

Bluecar

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 20:31:33 »
I ordered a couple of these last night but couldn't find them at £12

I thought I might try tomatoes - I usually grow quite a few for different folk.   I did see on one website where someone said they were starting carrots off in them.   Possibly for showing I thought.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 21:33:54 »
Hello MerF.

I think tomatoes are worth trying, so thanks for that idea. I'll certainly give them a go. I'm not sure about carrots as the modules are not very deep.

Regards

Bluecar

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal