Author Topic: what to do with these?  (Read 1951 times)

David P

• Quarter Acre
what to do with these?
« on: February 02, 2013, 19:36:19 »
Hello there all,

I was up my allotment today and I knew that I had to do something with a rose bush last year but did not know it had got so big! Any advice on what to do? I've attached a photo it is about 10ft tall!

Thanks

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: what to do with these?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 19:57:49 »
Photo????? I can't see a photo :dontknow: :dontknow:
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

David P

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 23:20:46 »
Hmmm I cant seem to insert the picture.... Its a rose bush/tree.  It is about 3m tall and does not produce many roses...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:50:20 »
If it's a rambler, it will flower on last season's new growth so if you keep cutting that off you will get few flowers.   Tray training the stems as horizontally as possible or just peg the ends to the soil and give it agood feed of rose or tomato fertiliser and see if that does the trick this year.  Don't prune it other than to remove any dead or damaged stems and any that block your path.

If it's a climber, you need to cut back all the small stems back to main stems which also need to be trained as horizontally as possible.  You can cut out one or two of these main stems each year so it is reinvigorated.  give it a good feed as above and it will flower on new stems this year.

Obxx - Vendée France

David P

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 23:52:57 »
Thanks for the information

I've no idea what kind it is, it's just like a small tree.  I like roses but do all rose's get this big?  The stems on it are about 20mm thick!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal