Author Topic: Nothing better to do...  (Read 4851 times)

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
Nothing better to do...
« on: February 20, 2013, 21:46:51 »
Went up the lottie on Monday as I had a day off, spoke to my neighbour who told me that his greenhouse had been stoned, causing some breakages in the panes. I also noticed some stones on the back of my plot; why they would do this is beyond me as I have nothing at the back apart from some garlic shoots and a section of ground covered in carpet! To say this kind of thing angers me is an under-statement...

Our site is split in two by a dirt path / road and has fairly good security (Decent gates, good peremiter fencing on 3 sides, a row of terraced houses on the forth side. The problem comes from the side to the right of the road, which borders some woods at the back. It would seem that nobody can climb into the lottie from the woods as the fences are quite high and have brambles and bushes growing around, however the greenhouse was within throwing range of people near the fence in the woods!

My neighbour is going to move his greenhouse forward so that it is out of range, but this really isn't on! It riles me up, because my neighbour is one of the most friendly people on the site, he has been very helpful since I took my plot on last year.

Some people obviously have nothing better to do!

pumkinlover

Re: Nothing better to do...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 07:27:00 »
I do not have any answers- just sympathy. It just seems sad  that some people cannot put them selves in the postition of seeing what harm their mindless actions do to others, sometime it is just a phase and they grow up to be better people.
I've been lucky up to now, one guy was actualy in his greenhouse when some one used it for target practise with a gun a few years ago :BangHead:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:38 »
Yes, these things do happen and the thugs come and go. One minute your stuff is under their attack until they find something else..more interesting to do  :BangHead:
One chap on our site resulted attaching shelf brackets outside on his GH..those being support for chicken wire that keeps 6" off from glass and it has worked wonders. It was some years ago when he did that and once kids noticed that stones and other objects just bounced off without doing damage..kids lost their interest for 'physical activity'..too hard work  :icon_cheers:
I've often been thinking doing something similar on my GH roof...not because vandalism but for against fire work rubbish. In past I've had few spent casings that landed on roof damaging some glass panes. I keep planning, but don't to get round do to it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:11:26 by goodlife »

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 21:42:50 »
Sadly it is a risk for most lotties it would seem: A large, open area that is unlit and unattended outside of daylight hours is a target for vandals. Not that it makes it any more acceptable however.

As I say he is going to move the greenhouse away from the woods to minimise the risk. I already take the precaution of leaving nothing of value in my shed, save a couple of tools that would not be too difficult to replace. Stuff like rotovators and petrol powered tools are either kept in the main (Brick and metal) shed or taken home at the end of the day. The area does have a risk of such crime (As most areas do) the local church that I attend had its bell stolen by metal thieves last year. However we had a good laugh two weeks later when the b*****ds came back for the lead on the roof: The vicar was in the vestry and saw three blokes on the roof, so rather than attract attention, he just pulled the ladder away trapping them on the roof! The police were called and proceeded to collar all three of them!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 07:47:59 »
Sadly it is a risk for most lotties it would seem: A large, open area that is unlit and unattended outside of daylight hours is a target for vandals. Not that it makes it any more acceptable however.

As I say he is going to move the greenhouse away from the woods to minimise the risk. I already take the precaution of leaving nothing of value in my shed, save a couple of tools that would not be too difficult to replace. Stuff like rotovators and petrol powered tools are either kept in the main (Brick and metal) shed or taken home at the end of the day. The area does have a risk of such crime (As most areas do) the local church that I attend had its bell stolen by metal thieves last year. However we had a good laugh two weeks later when the b*****ds came back for the lead on the roof: The vicar was in the vestry and saw three blokes on the roof, so rather than attract attention, he just pulled the ladder away trapping them on the roof! The police were called and proceeded to collar all three of them!
Good stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal