Author Topic: Anybody got one of these tools?  (Read 7509 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Anybody got one of these tools?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:36 »
I like mine because it has a triangular handle you can grip and use to lever the soil out.   Also saves bending.   It you just "stir" it to make the hole bigger you can drop quite a large spud in.   Then fill.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 15:39:01 »
This one looks interesting, handles bit different but may give it a go - http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk/products/potato-planter-tool-11229.aspx

I had looked at that but he still recommended digging a small trench before hand.

I have e-mailed Groves Nurseries to see if they have them in stock and am waiting for their reply.   If they do have them, I will go down there (it is only about an hour's trip) and will let you know what they are like - they look fine to me and will save a lot of bending.   Thursday seems to be a fine day so may go then.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 17:56:45 »
Look forward to getting your thoughts Merv - many thanks

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 15:51:54 »
Look forward to getting your thoughts Merv - many thanks
I went down to Bridport this morning and had a look at one of these tools.   They are well made and quite heavy for their size - about 5lbs.   When I got back home, I tried it in one of my borders which had not been touched since mid October so has had plenty of rain, snow and frost on it.   I pressed the planting tool as on the programme, it went straight in and easily operated the handles to open the bucket at the bottom so that would have been one potato planted.   Before I went I phoned the nurseries to check they had them in stock and questioned whether they would be strong enough handles to operate the bucket part.   The chap said they had none returned at all.   They were a very friendly and helpful company to deal with.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 16:50:35 »
Wow! thanks muchly for your feed back,  :icon_cheers: after such a glowing report I will definately be giving it a go, after to be mail order though so I will get straight onto it.

Thanks again MervF
Susiebelle

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal