Author Topic: Allotment Wars  (Read 27695 times)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Allotment Wars
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:59:30 »
Programme on BBC1 on Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 10.35pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q9d8b

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Allotment Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:05:04 »
Should be fun, but sad in a way.

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:54 »
would have loved to have watched but looking at the details the bbc doesnt think we have allotments in either northern Ireland or Scotland lol

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:03 »
would have loved to have watched but looking at the details the bbc doesnt think we have allotments in either northern Ireland or Scotland lol
Shown an hour later in NI/Scotland
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 17:49:21 »
Shame it's not about the positives of allotment life.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:26:48 »
Just watched this on iPlayer. Certainly doesn't show the positives of having an allotment but then it wouldn't have been made into a programme they wanted.  I don't have a plot  :sad10: and even I didn't feel sorry for the lad who had been evicted from his plot. I got the impression that he just put 3 weeks work turning the soil and then left it for his pumpkins to grow and then wondered why everyone was getting upset with his weeds.  I thought his plot was an eye sore. Or am I being too harsh?
Bring back Spotty Dog........

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:27:13 »
A little disappointing ,the show was great but as fitzsie said concentrating on the many positives was not the programme they wanted,shame.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:57 »
Seems abit harsh, Fitzie.

I got the impression he was a sane-minded individual who may have been put off growing for life because of a narrow-minded minority of bullies who never really gave him a chance?!....could be wrong tho! :toothy10:

As for Harry and Frank, what luck to be placed next to eachother in the show!! :BangHead:

Talk about 'love thy neighbour'!!! :toothy10:

And yes, they did portray more of the negatives of allotmenteering than the psitives - shame really :sad10:
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:04 »
Just watched it and found it depressing that, what should be a friendly environment,is anything but for some folk.
The competetiveness of veg growers for competition surprised me,that so called plot friends can be so devious to ruin one anothers prize efforts.!!!!
Nothing in the programme was positive,the makers just wanted to show aggression,or silence tween plot holders and seemed to show if your not in the right ""clique" on site  then your not wanted.
Pound to a pinch of Horse Doins,if you offered the programmed makers hard cash to make another prog showing the friendship and and community spirit that can live on allotments....""They wouldnt bluddy be interested""

GazNjude

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:14:10 »
Ummm " harsh " Yes, I think it was a bit of the green eye monster in me !! lol !
I did wonder though whether there was more to the story then we saw. It seems they only evicted him when he failed to pay the money. Why did he leave it so late? Why wouldn't they accept the money when offered?  Why call the police and lock the gates when he said he would return the key? I would certainly call that false imprisonment, how can they do that?

Lots of questions !!!

Oh yes I had to laugh at Harry & Frank, perhaps I am being too cynical but it wouldn't have suprised if the producers had a word in someone's ear !! 

Bring back Spotty Dog........

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:35:13 »
An attempt perhaps to redress the balance after the many, many programmes which have depicted having an allotment as an idyllic and unrealistic dream?

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 11:14:49 »
more car crash telly I'm afraid, and although it was uncomfortable to watch there must be more to the Mancunian's story that we were not shown or why would he have given up the key so easily in the end?
what shocked me more were the two smug guys clearing out the gentlemans shed and saying that there were 34 years of junk in there and then being seen to pilfer off the best tools ( this is how it appeared ) but my point is anyone who has had an allotment plot for 34 years is bound by now to be elderly  could they not have offered him some help or sympathy in place of the glee and criticism.
I feel extremely lucky to be on a site that is part of a community - no locked gates and apart from my run in with the crazy old bird over the apple trees everybody is jolly nice and very helpful.
I can't help feeling the bloke with secret site is asking for it  Google earth and a little local knowledge won't save him for long.

not that I condone the burning of sheds and destroying of crops but hey that's people and we are all somewhat peculiar in reality.
Nora  :tongue3:
Norf London

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:23:25 »
"Oh yes I had to laugh at Harry & Frank, perhaps I am being too cynical but it wouldn't have suprised if the producers had a word in someone's ear !!  "

:toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

I wonder if they have built bridges yet?!!

Yeah, theres got to be more to the manc's story.

Perhaps there'll be a follow up next year - Im sure we'd all love to know whos been breaking into Michelles shed and drinking her tea!!! :tongue3:
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:54 »
This is the reality of most Allotments.......a lot of trouble is caused by groups of people who are committee members who think they rule the world.Glad to see it exposed to the nation :tongue3:

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 12:38:20 »
This is the reality of most Allotments.......a lot of trouble is caused by groups of people who are committee members who think they rule the world.Glad to see it exposed to the nation :tongue3:
Oi! That's me you're talking about!! Unpaid servant more like!!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 12:41:28 »
 :sad10: :sad10:

If people on our allotment site thought like this, I would leave.
 :sad10:
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 12:48:35 »
Missed it on TV last night, but just watched it on the computer and enjoyed it, better than the usual repeats and rubbish programmes they put on.  I am so lucky that all the people on my allotment site are so friendly and nice, that is part of the reason I enjoy going there, for a good chat, and they are so generous give me loads of produce.  Nice shed the two ladies had, we are not allowed sheds as they are targets for vandals.  Roll on summer.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 13:18:55 »

A lot of allotments are like that though Betty.I think it is safe to say you are not among them.

Drive-by abuser

• Not So New ...
  • Growin veg, you havin a laugh catch ya later, yeah
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 13:56:48 »

A lot of allotments are like that though Betty.I think it is safe to say you are not among them.

Unfortunately, this is the situation for a number of unlucky plot holders across the country. Some Committee members do think they are the law and can do want the want regardless of what they majority think.....in the past this is also known as a dictatorship....sadly
Drive-by abuser

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 15:58:37 »
The reason I left my old allotment after 24 years was due to 2 committee members.   I have been on my current plot for 12 years, it is a lot bigger site, privately owned, no obligation to join the allotment association and we get no bother at all.   It is a pleasure to go over there without the fear of being told we should be dointg things a different way or other harsh comments.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal