Author Topic: Snow birds  (Read 1822 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Snow birds
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:52 »
My chickens are bonkers...I opened their pen door while doing some 'bits and bobs' in their pen....and I haven't cleared the garden path so there was few inches of snow on......and the girls came running out!..snow reaching up to their tummies and they were having some fun  :icon_cheers: No fear of getting cold, wet feet!
And there was me carrying straw into their pen to keep their feet dry and 'warm'  :BangHead: Last couple of days they've been looking so sorry for themselves with the weather we've had...outside they've been lifting their legs up and been very reluctant to come out to feed...and yet...leave door open and bit of freedom goes to their heads  :drunken_smilie:.."WHAT...we LOVE snow!"

Girls shed is now mucked out...new clean bedding is down, feeders and drinker filled, plenty of grit provided, nest boxes fluffed up, straw on the run, greens hung up and girls have had little walk in the fresh air...they look very happy now and keep walking backwards and forwards on the straw floor  :icon_cheers:
....AND NOW ALL I WANT FROM THEM IS FEW EGGS FOR RETURN!!!!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Snow birds
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 22:02:03 »
Ours aren't at all keen.  They'll venture out whilst we're cleaning or changing the water, but the temptation of a nice cabbage hanging up will draw them back in again like a magnet.

Pix here: http://johnnorman.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/ixworths-in-the-snow/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal