Author Topic: JAVA  (Read 3319 times)

ACE

• Hectare
JAVA
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:07:53 »
I have just read that java has some security issues. What do our resident  computor buffs  think should be done.

I don't think this is the normal scaremongering, have  a look at  Java news.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: JAVA
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:23 »
Yes..I read it too in Finnish news papers...but don't really know if I should take any action...or if I even have Java in my puter :dontknow:
Name 'rings a bell' tough...perharps I should have a look before I get worried for nothing...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:16:49 »
Java is a language that lets you write code once and then the Java Plugin will run it on any browser or device.  It is both hated and loved in equal manner through the tech industry.

The advice that I read says yes - disable or remove Java. 
Specifically - if you dont need Java then remove it from your browser.  How do you know if you need it?  Difficult - but generally if you are asking the question then you probably don't need it. 
If you need Java then use a browser with Java enabled specifically for those needs and use another browser the rest of the time.

Here is a page that explains the issue and has links to show you how to disable Java in various browsers
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/01/10/protect-yourself-against-latest-java-zero-day-vulnerability-now-maljavajar-b/

Have I dont it - of course not - I should but I alos know that my AV does detect malware based on this exploit - so if you have Java and use it - make sure your AV is bang up to date..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 13:29:00 »
 :icon_cheers: Brilliant!...thanks for that and the links..
If anybody is in doubt....here is link.. http://java.com/en/ ..where you can check if you have Java stored in your computer.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 16:04:09 »
Well, I've removed it, I thought it was something needed to keep the computor running and also I was always getting intrusive reminders with flashing boxes telling me to update Java. The computor is still doing what I want it to do. Thanks for the replys.

Is it likely to be on my android phone.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 16:57:08 »
I've removed it too - and am also glad to be rid of the annoying flashes telling me to update!

Tricia

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal