Author Topic: Wholemeal Soda Bread  (Read 1999 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Wholemeal Soda Bread
« on: January 10, 2013, 23:39:17 »
Its always good to stumble over an easy to make bread and thanks to Jude getting me yet another Diabetic cook book,""bless her""I found  this Soda bread and it is lovely and crusty and good to go with a nice slice of ham and theres no faffing about with yeasts and waiting time.......just mix the dough and cook,30 mins your good to go.

Ive seen one or two sourdough breads in our archive and this Wholemeal version is equally tasty  !!!!!!!!!!!

450ml of skimmed milk
juice of 1 Lemon
280g plain white flour
280g stone ground wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

put the milk in a jug and squeeze the lemon juice in,leave for 15 mins so the acidity of the lemon can thicken the milk.

Meanwhile,add both flours with the salt and bicarb and bring together with a whisk.

after 15 mins add the milk mixture to the flour a bit at a time,if to wet just add more flour,if too dry just dribble in some more milk..the resulting dough should be soft but not sticky....
Then,place dough on a floured board and kneed for a couple off mins then shape into round loaf about 5cm high,then cut the loaf crosswise.

Meantime,heat your fan oven to 200 degrees.......

Place shaped dough into hot oven for 15 mins then reduce heat to 180 degrees for a further 15 mins....carefully remove loaf from oven if base is still soft turn loaf over and return to oven till thoroughly cooked through.....all ovens differ so its just a case of adjusting the cooking time to your liking..!!!!!!!

Very simple to make Wholemeal soda bread.

Enjoy  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 00:26:09 by gazza1960 »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Wholemeal Soda Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:09:36 »
That looks soooo good  :blob7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Re: Wholemeal Soda Bread
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:37:19 »
That looks so yummy, I have to give this a try!
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal