Author Topic: Hello All... Help if you can..  (Read 1720 times)

Vegiman391

• Not So New ...
  • Got a Plot, hope ppl will help
Hello All... Help if you can..
« on: January 05, 2013, 16:03:13 »
Hi all,
I  am on a waiting list at my local allotment, and was looking around here.  The size I  am on the list for is,  a starter plot, of 10ft by 10ft . Its on clay so raised bed are what is used, so what size bed would be best and what would be my best starter crop to get me going .

Thanks all

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Hello All... Help if you can..
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 16:20:36 »
If it would be mine....
I would propably devide the space into 2 beds and have on one side some quick growing salad and herb stuff and on other side some slower growing roots, perharps a courgette and onions.
Keep any paths into bare minimum...they just waste space...leaving just enough for your feet to get by..or if you are not raising the bed, use 'stepping stones'..you can then plant between the 'stones' too.
But it all depends what you actually eat. As you are limited with a space...make a list what like to eat and leave any 'maybe' crops or experiments to later date when you have moved from starter plot for something bigger or you get more experience with growing.
Oh..and when you are limited with space...remember...with trailing plants you can also grow upwards. More closer spacing than recommended on seed packets will give you more individual but smaller veggies. Close planting often result less weeding but possibly more watering. When you clear one crop, sow something on that space straight away to utilize all the space.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 16:26:32 by goodlife »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 17:16:16 »
With such a small space I'd advise you try to keep plants coming through in pots ready to plant out as soon as something is removed, also be prepared to import a lot of compost or manure... if your soil is acid then mushroom compost is good if you can get it, if you're growing intensively then you need to look after the soil a bit more, also look out for crops that give good productivity for a small space.... if you can get a frame up on the northern edge of the plot then runner beans or climbing french beans will give tons more beans than any number of dwarfs, and over a longer season. Same goes for climbing (tall) peas... you could have four feet of Cobra beans, four feet of Telefono peas  and a couple of "Black Forest climbing courgettes... lots of produce, not much footprint.... I'd also target stuff that is always better homegrown or really fresh, strawberries (I'd always usually suggest soft fruit, but not in 10x10), grow them in tower, move them in front of the climbing stuff once that's got going and only plant up one side, the stuff facing north won't crop that well, shallots from seed, poncy salad mixtures, garlic for green garlic, all sorts of small cabbage, though minicole and hispi are pretty good, you can have pots with the winter savoy Wintessa ready to go in when other stuff comes out, also some leeks, maybe even some brusells (way better fresh than shop bought) and witloof chicory.. If you love sweetcorn then you could grow a small patch, you could get 20 plants or so into a 4x4 space, you might well get away with planting one of the shorter climbing early-cropping shelling beans in amongst them... Bridgewater or Polish CLimbing would make sense, avoid Borlotti, it takes too long.... I can let you have some Bridgewater or polish though.. To avoid wasted space start most things off in modules is a good technique, especially if you can do it at home, seedlings are fragile and they're a lot easier to look after in module packs.... even things like carrots adn parsnips if you stick a toilet roll tube into each cell of a 24-cell module pack (I'd debate growing parsnips, but having two or three in for Christmas dinner might float your boat)

Stuff to avoid... probably potatoes aren't worth the effort, cauliflowers take up a lot of space and time, most pumpkins and squashes, though if you must grow one then Winter Festival is about as good as you'll get, it's pretty compact and will give you four or five sensibly sized fruit that store well. Onions unless you have a hankering for something odd, if you must grow one then Long Red Florence tastes great adn it's tall thin bulbs allow you to pack them in a bit tighter than normal ones in the flat...

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 22:57:40 »
If I had a small space such as yours I think I would try the SQUARE FOOT system. Carol Klein did a trial on it on one of her shows and there are good web sites and books on the subject.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Vegiman391

• Not So New ...
  • Got a Plot, hope ppl will help
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 19:09:18 »
Thanks for your replies , what is the square foot rule

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal