Author Topic: Greenhouse Rental Figures  (Read 2692 times)

AWCS

Greenhouse Rental Figures
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:02:59 »
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!

I am currently trying to work out how much to charge someone for the use of some greenhouse space, but am struggling to find any sort of comparable figures from anywhere.

I wondered if anyone either had some greenhouses of their own that they currently rent out, or had any idea of where I may find any further information on this?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,

AWCS

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Greenhouse Rental Figures
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:54 »
I don't actually have experience of what you ask but we have a sort of " letting" system with our " communal tunnel"

Some years ago (13) the local council in their wisdom decided to erect a 36 X 16 tunnel on our plots to encourage disabled Gardeners but their were no takers so existing plot holders decided to use it as it was free and doing nothing.

It is now due for a new skin so we have all got our heads together and worked out a rental system to pay for it!

Currently a standard plot costs around £20 pa. although this one is free as I mentioned,so last year I formed 10 raised beds, paid from our site " social fund" then set a charge of £2 pa per bed  (10 @ £2= £20)

Perhaps you could relate the hire rate to a percentage of the plot rental.

Unlike us who have used "area" as our calculator you could use a percentage of the annual plot cost as your calculator e.g. 50 % of £20 = £10 pa.

Then if plot costs increase, the rental increases accordingly.

By the way; you would be advised to clarify who is responsible for the maintenance of the greenhouse e.g. Replacement glass, as technically; you become a "landlord" and as such are responsible for any maintenance!

I hope this example will help you in making an informed choice....Tg

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse Rental Figures
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 20:48:24 »
Wow this is a hard one not knowing your age :happy7: How much space is he going to have, are you going to heat it. Or how about if you are on hols he takes care of things does the watering  and looks after everything that would save you a fortune by not worrying about what is happening while you are away. Also the yearly cleaning could be done for you in return for the space I personally would find if there was no money changing hands you would find that you and you alone will be in charge of your greenhouse and you will probably still be friends this time next year :toothy10:
m j gravell

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal