Author Topic: To cover or not to..  (Read 1434 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
To cover or not to..
« on: January 04, 2013, 15:32:47 »
Preparing the ground for this years potato patch, I have rotavated and cover it with a layer of manure.   I have some black plastic I could put over it.  Would this hasten the manure being taken down into the ground by worms, or should I leave it uncovered?

Amazingrotavator(Derby)

• Half Acre
  • My best mate
    • www.mandjderbygardens.co.uk
Re: To cover or not to..
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 16:52:58 »
I always rotavate in the Autumn then spread mushroom compost/manure and leave open so the rain/worms take it down. Come spring, rotavate in. I wouldn't cover as I think it would encourage slugs etc.

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 16:58:59 »
If I manage to get the manure down early enough, say October,  I cover with wet cardboard then black polythene, when I come to it in March the cardboard has been taken down by the worms  - I read somewhere that the worms like the glue, down know how true that is but whatever the reason the cardboard disappears leaving only plastic tape etc (works really well) If I do it know I just put the black polythene down, as past experience tells me there is not enough time for the cardboard to eaten.  However most of my neighbours just leave the spread manure on top of the ground, and that works for them.

That's my take but I am sure others will be along shortly.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 18:27:15 »
We do the cover thing, too. Take it off a couple of weeks before sowing/planting so the birds can eat all the nasties  :toothy10:

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 19:13:55 »
Just me I leave it on top of the soil from September onwards and leave the rain work it into the soil, I put it then in the trench and put spuds in. Wont hurt to cover if you want to plant early the plastic should warm up the soil for you here in Wales we would need a volcano just to dry the soil :happy7:
m j gravell

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal