Author Topic: broad beans & mice  (Read 16305 times)

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: broad beans & mice
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 08:52:24 »
I put my aquadulce seeds into root trainers, outside in racks at home, in january this year and have got amazingly good strong plants to put out in march. So far so good, I lost most in the past by putting into the allotment in late autumn in years past. Have sown witkiem m last few years in early spring and good results but I wanted an earlier start. WM is a nice bean

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 15:22:31 »
I put my aquadulce seeds into root trainers, outside in racks at home, in january this year and have got amazingly good strong plants to put out in march.

Rootrainers are a good idea but I can't get my head around why they charge so much for something so fragile.

There are various alternatives but the easiest for large seeds is to make up a roll - I have done this many times with small oca or to make seed potatoes go further by using smaller bits - it works a treat but I didn't think of using it for broad beans until your post - they are about  the same size as some of the oca or spud bits I've used in the past.

Basically it's the same as the roll  of cuttings method - you take a sheet of plastic a metre or so long and wide enough to give twice the depth that you want for your "Rolltrainer" - fold it widthways and make a line of holes down the closed edge - I use scissors and make little snips.

You open it out and put a layer of compost to cover one half between the holes and the edge - about 2-4cm deep -  put your seeds or tubers in at the right distance from the edge and at least 10cm apart, fold it over and roll it up.

It's nice if you can find a big plastic pot that the roll will fit in. but otherwise it needs to be taped or tied up. Brown  sticky packing tape is surprisingly waterproof for a whole season once it is stuck firmly to clean dry plastic (or itself).

You just unroll when you want the plants, lift them out and transplant.

It's well worth including straight sticks (prunings) as you roll it up to squash the sides together at intervals to make pockets that will tend to stop the roots getting intertwined.

The more alternatives we can find the more pressure on rootrainers to use better materials - like the throwaway trays my sausages come in - which are about 10x more durable than what they charge £££ for...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

dave61

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 09:33:04 »
I use the inside of toilet rolls works a treat and they break down in the soil when you plant them out :icon_cheers:
dave

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:36 »
I put my aquadulce seeds into root trainers, outside in racks at home, in january this year and have got amazingly good strong plants to put out in march.

Rootrainers are a good idea but I can't get my head around why they charge so much for something so fragile.

There are various alternatives

I couldn't agree more with you. Heck of a price for something we managed without before someone started to market them. Designed more for profit than of necessity. A nice play-thing in my opinion. (Apologies to people who love them)

I plonk things into pots and let the roots twirl.... transplant and shake them (roots) gently out. Seems to work.

If I have the time long paper-pots are so easy to make using old newspapers.

As for mice - use a newspaper they don't want to read!  :tongue3:

I have had no trouble with mice (so far) - my broad beans are germinated where the mice don't roam and planted out when a few inches high by which time there are other things for mice to pay with.

Our friendly foxes like the mice  :laughing7: 

petefj

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 08:30:41 »
I suffered this last year, so this year I'm grinng them on in the conservatory at home, and when they're about 6" - 12" I'll plant them out.  Mice don't seem interested in the more mature plants.

Peter
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal