Author Topic: Pumkin soup  (Read 3483 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Pumkin soup
« on: October 25, 2012, 19:26:15 »
I have lost my recipe for Pumpkin soup which I believe I got from this site.  Can anyone help find it or have a recipe they would kindly put on line for me.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Pumkin soup
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 20:04:57 »
Tomatoada I've just put it in the search & found one but sorry I can't copy & paste or anything fancy.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:53:21 »
Many thanks for trying.   I have the same problems when it comes to the clever stuff.   Perhaps someone will come along and do it.

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:44:06 by lisaparkin »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 10:29:42 »
This is how I make my pumpkin soup:
2 largish onions
1 litre chicken stock
about 500g of pumpkin (any variety)
1 medium potato
either about 30g of butter or marg or a tab of oil

Chop onion, brown in the fat over medium heat
peel and chop pumpkin, add to onions and let caramelise slightly. Lower heat and add stock, season to taste, lots of black pepper. Now, at this stage you can flavour with a variety of things - grated fresh ginger, curry powder, personally I like cumin and a little nutmeg: add these depnding on your taste.  If you don't like it spicy, you can leave these out. Personally I don't like a "herby" plavour with pumpkin, it's too sweet for that.
Add potato peeled and chopped, and now bring up to the boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes or until the veg are very soft.

Mix with handmixer and season to taste. If too thick, I tend to thin with milk. I also add a drop of something creamy if I have not added too much milk - a spoonful of cream, or a little evaporated milk can also be nice.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:21:30 »
I think I'm getting to be a batty old woman :icon_cheers:. I popped into Booths on Wednesday & had to hide my delight at the sight of a display of squash that contained Musquee De Provence & for a change they have a realistic use by date. It was £5 but soooooo worth it. The girl on the till said it would make a great Halloween pumpkin, no, no, no I said in a rather shocked tone.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 15:09:25 »
Thanks for recipes.  Will try both.
Ah! The extravigance of youth.  £5 to waste.  I too am shocked.

Katiepops1977

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 16:35:13 »
Tried to follow Delia's pumpkin soup recipe but didn't have the stuff needed so decided to go freestyle with it. Used onion and pumpkin innards - sweated in margarine (didn't have butter) added mixed spices (smelt nice so thought why not!) and carnation condensed milk (thought it would be like cream), It smelt discusting at first and I got a bit worried but after blending down and adding a bit more mixed spice I decided to be brave and taste it - it was lovely. Going to take it to the Halloween party tonight and see what everyone else thinks - roasted the seeds and will add to the top just for the poshness of it all. If I never post again please be advised to never try this receipe as it will have been my downfall.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 20:35:46 »
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

nefertiti

• Not So New ...
  • The best gamble is with a packet of seeds.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 18:21:48 »

Another one:
around 1 kg of pumpkin cut into wedges or chunks (no need to peel)
5 large cloves of garlic (unpeeled)
1 large potato (or 2 small)
1 carrot
olive oil
crushed chilli (1/2 to 1 ts )
thyme (as much as you like, but be generous)
salt, water

1. arrange the pumpkin and the garlic on a baking dish, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with chilli and thyme then roast for 30-40 min in 175 degrees
2. let cool down
3. peel and cut in to pieces the potato and carrot
4. put the potato and carrot in a pan, add some water (up to a litre)
5. boil until soft, add the pumpkin peeled from the skin plus  all herbs and any juice or oil from the tray
6. bring to boil, peel the garlic, roughly chop and then add to the soup; add some salt (1ts)
7. liquidise with a blender
8. ready 

Really good one!   and I believe pretty healthy the same time

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 18:52:00 »
I put coconut milk into a batch of pumpkin soup sometimes, gives it an extra richness and creaminess for a treat.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal