Author Topic: Government survey on growing your own fruit and vegetables.  (Read 4275 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
 :nike: I found the following information very interesting, and we plotters seem to be very keen on our beans!!
A recent Government survey shows that the proportion of home back garden or allotment grown fruit and vegetables, has almost doubled in the last four years. This is likely to be due to the rapidly rising cost of shop bought fruit and vegetables, as well as the various TV programs. The proportion of different fruit and vegetables that are now home grown, is surprisingly large. Beans 33%, Potatoes 7%, Tomatoes 4%, Apples 9%, Soft fruit 10%, giving an overall figure of 5% for fruit and vegetables that are home grown. Interestingly, about 46% of growers on allotments are women.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Government survey on growing your own fruit and vegetables.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:32:07 »
Do you have an url to these survey results?  Very interesting, thank you.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:05:15 »
Was this a UK survey ?  ......    :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 17:42:59 »
That will just make the big food and supermarket companies lean on their tame friends in government to stop us doing it.

oops sorry I wanted to use this as a quote and accidently clicked on edit- sorry Tosh
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 17:54:14 by pumpkinlover »

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 17:56:24 »
That will just make the big food and supermarket companies lean on their tame friends in government to stop us doing it.

oops sorry I wanted to use this as a quote and accidently clicked on edit- sorry Tosh

What I wanted to say was -such cynicism in one so young!! :wave: - you are as bad as me- I can just see Tesco buying up ALL the available land to stop us growing anywhere!

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 19:04:56 »
I saw it in the Times, but google it.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

realfood

• Hectare

realfood

• Hectare

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 22:19:25 »
With the horsemeat scandal, growing awareness that big food companies cannot be trusted and rising food costs I would not be surprised if growing our own food increases further
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:29:37 »
Did anyone take part in the survey?

We do a government income/expenditure survey every few years, cannot remember question about about growing your own.  There might have been a general one, but certain not divided by crops. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal