Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 96583 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2013, 13:47:40 »
Planted out 24 celeriac, 24 cabbage and a yacon on plot 2, cut all the fruit trees back to 6' and dug up 3lb of volunteer spuds, most of which are ok to eat  :icon_cheers:

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2013, 00:32:27 »
Sowed lettuce, calabrese, spring onion, coriander and swede. Admired my early tomato plants, congratulated myself on having them (now doomed to failure). Threatened the forming fruit to get bigger and redder faster. Harvested bunching onion, lettuce, chives from the garden and a cucumber from the windowsill.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2013, 08:12:22 »
Sowed lettuce,........................ and a cucumber from the windowsill.

Gordonmull, very envious about the cucumber.  What variety?  When and how did you sow cucumber?

Cucumber now would be just brilliant.  Would you please tell us how it's done?

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2013, 08:52:32 »
Short and sweet, not a lot. Come on sunshine you can come out to play..go hide those tears.  :blob7: :blob7:

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2013, 22:06:12 »
When is this weather going to get better? well I sat in poly today and repotted and pricked out... my Fushia, parsnips,beetroot, Brussels, leeks, snowball Caulis,and made up 2 hanging baskets which I bought from Aldi today reduced to .99p they had red trailing begonias in basket. Was not warm at all in there,had to come home for a hot shower to get warm.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #245 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:12 »
Hoe-ed weeded, watered and sowed a few PSB yesterday.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2013, 11:37:42 »
We had a friend with a chain saw visit us to take down a flowering cherry tree that was in danger of toppling on to the chicken run. All done, wood removed. We just need to move the composter over the little stump. I just need to take out a lonicera fragrantiisima & I have another area for fruit. Hooray :icon_cheers:. Better still, I babysat for them so it hasn't cost a penny :icon_cheers:. Can't be bad.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2013, 22:46:08 »
How annoying is that? just wrote what I had done today and lost the darn thing. Never mind will post again tomorrow on what I have done.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2013, 23:04:28 »
Not much.  Just pottered and got rid of some fat hen around the carrots and parsnips, and sowed some sprouts.

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:16 »
Just back from holiday so had a good look round at how everything had jumped up in the last week. Including the weeds  :BangHead: Lots of work ahead.

Gordonmull, very envious about the cucumber.  What variety?  When and how did you sow cucumber?

Cucumber now would be just brilliant.  Would you please tell us how it's done?

I sowed 5 Wautoma cukes to a 3" pot and put on top  of my fish tank in Feb. It was my first seed save so I wanted to see if they were viable. All 5 germinated so I thinned to 1 and just put it in a big pot on the windowsill with some canes for support. Wautoma don't produce big cucumbers but they are tasty.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2013, 07:18:19 »
Planted out some borlottis that had outgrown their macdonalds coffee cups, great depth of roots in them. Started planting up the edible pots for Wigan in bloom, while the 'lads' were moving our free 3 tons of topsoil  :icon_cheers:

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2013, 18:14:14 »
Yesterday I hoe-ed, watered and set up two wigwams and sowed some French beans.   :glasses9:

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2013, 00:43:09 »
Thinned my May sowing of swede, mooched about, tried to find an excuse to stay in the GH for as long as possible, realised that wasn't an option and went back into the house.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2013, 21:28:41 »
Set up another wormery in the shed. Erected a net to grow my melons up and got stuck in the poly tunnel because it started raining too bloody to make it to the house... Not that I'm complaining though.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2013, 21:46:22 »
I potted on some coleus seedlings,some marigolds and had a tidy up in the greenhouse
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2013, 22:14:31 »
More pricking out seedlings, cornflowers, night scented stock, broccoli, and the list goes on but too tired to recall. Started some winter cabbages, late cauliflowers, tagetes, more peas, romanesco, conical beetroot, cucumbers,water melon.melon, was busy, busy, busy.Now the question if they all come good where am I going to put them all l.o.l. Oh and planed some runner beans. Roll on the sunshine...  :glasses9: 

patchworkperson

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #256 on: May 26, 2013, 06:39:17 »
Spent our first couple of hours on our new lottie & it doesn't look like we've touched it? We do however have a full compost bin & a couple of lbs of rhubarb.
Geri
Milton Keynes, Bucks

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #257 on: May 26, 2013, 07:26:43 »
Yesterday I mixed/made 600 litres of compost and planted tomatoes..today the play with the compost continue....loads of things to pot up, sow and transplant..soooo busy, I'm glad the weather is fine. And now, off to lottie while rest of the household is still in sleep..time to get loads done.. :icon_cheers:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #258 on: May 26, 2013, 09:32:07 »
Just back from a week's holiday and only 1 page on this thread that I've missed- guess that's an indication of what the weather's been like!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #259 on: May 26, 2013, 10:43:20 »
Yesterday I sowed more carrots, parsnips, beetroot and onions, transplanted some brassicas and celeriac. Give the marestail and other weeds a bit of a going over.   :sunny:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal