Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 96698 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2013, 20:21:43 »
Broadbeans are planted.. :icon_cheers:...and first lot of peas :toothy10:
Did teeny bit of weeding and gathering old dry plant matter together for my FIRE CLAMP  :glasses9:..but it was too windy for fire..huh, almost dangerous gusts at times.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2013, 22:48:29 »
Finished getting the spuds in and planted out the broadbeans (only growing "Express" this year cos still have most of last years in the freezer) .... whoohoo for Howard rotavators is all I can say, the odd bit of soil moving I had to do with the shoel at the end I couldn't get the rotavator in to do showed me how claggy it all was.... wouldn't have been practicable by hand, or would have been epically back-breaking labour... as it is all the spuds are in (2 poles) and my back feels fine :D.... hopoefully in the course of the next week or so I'll get the onionsand shallots (both from seed and many varieties)  out and maybe the first mixed row of peas (Ne PLus Ultra and Telefono tall ones and Hurst Green Shaft and  Jumbo normal ones.... the "Ruthless" earlies are in a big pot and can stay there...)... might also think about getting brassicas like Kohl Rabi and cabbages out....

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2013, 23:02:19 »
I have spent the entire day watching and re-tightening the cloches...oh how I want the sandbags to arrive...bricks and old stones just aren't up to the job in this wind....need some dead weight....
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:04 »
Right.
Oilskins...check!
Wellies...check!
Lifejacket...check!
Inflatable life raft...check!
Little wubber ducky from bathroom ...check!
Peas for the floating of...check!
Soil for the planting of peas for the floating of...check!
Will to get all togged up, fight the wind and cloches, get soaked and catch pneumonia and spent half the season too ill to garden...MISSING!

Bottle of home made wine from 2009 crop...check!
Eggbaconmushroombeanzandtoast brekkie...check!
Interfret on...check!

Allotments4All on screen with huge backlog of stuff I haven't seen (as a newbie)...check

As wosisname said to Scott of the Antarctic, "I may be some time"!... :wave:

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2013, 11:45:11 »
 :toothy10: Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. the big yellow shiny ball has come out...hahahahaaaa

2 rows of peas in..1st Kelvedon wonder, 2nd Mangeytoots...Brill thats my pea pod wine sorted for this year hahahahhaaa!

also found 8 'volunteers' under the weed suppressant fabric and they are now in potato bags...Bonus!
AND it didn't rain on me...
And the wind died so I could do the sheets....hahahahaaaaaaaaa! wheres me wine!

On a serious note...Polytunnel temp up to 88 in under 20 mins of sun...watch out!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2013, 23:20:23 »
Managed a quick 3/4 hour in the GH before the allotment soc meeting started so I managed to pot up my leeks, happy with progress this week due to spuds being in along with the broadies, hopefully get the onions and shallots in in the next week or so, then look ahead to the tender stuff getting sown and the brassicas going out....

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2013, 13:45:08 »

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2013, 14:21:02 »
.and then I sat here doing some sun soaking...temp on the temp mesuring device is....86f...real little sun trap this one..have recorded 140f on here..couldn't sit out that day...

That's 'er indoors, outdoors by the way!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2498

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2013, 21:50:44 »
Potatoes in, first peas in today so I'm feeling quite virtuous....just need to get my alliums all in now... Ha!   :sunny:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2013, 00:12:14 »
Yesterday sowed brassicas.  Today watered and then covered them.   Today planted out 36 brassicas,  Watered strawberry plants that went in during the winter, they were looking very dry.   No significant rain here for several weeks, while underneath still wet, the surface is getting dusty.  Hoeing puts up clouds of dust.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2013, 08:45:19 »
Well I am now ready to plant my courgettes / acorn squash, main crop Sweetcorn and onions.. Just got to get them ready for planting in a few weeks..

I spent a few hours at the plot today and got all my weed fabric set up ready for growing. A few weeks ago I made all the holes in the fabrics so today I sprinkled some general fertilizer, forked it in and raked it all flat. Then set up the fabrics.

Burning the holes                      The Onion bed                        All finished

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2013, 17:12:38 »
WOW what a BRILLIANT Lottie you have there Gavin...excellent work, congrats on 3rd place best Lottie and the prizes in the show...methinks you aren't a beginner at this game!
Where did you get the wire fencing panels.. the oblong stuff... from please?
And again...just WOW! excellent picture blog....

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2013, 17:34:22 »
Planted the rest of my Kestrels yesterday
Transplanted cucs
Sowed some more brassicas
 :blob7:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2013, 19:14:19 »
Planted out beetroot, kohl rabi, turnips and sowed some more carrots. Planted chitted parsnips and bedfordshire onions from seed. Transplanted more flowers for the plant sale. My sweetcorn are just showing so I've got out all the bean and squash seeds . Ray sowed the next lot of tall peas in milk cartons :icon_cheers:

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2013, 19:43:38 »
WOW what a BRILLIANT Lottie you have there Gavin...excellent work, congrats on 3rd place best Lottie and the prizes in the show...methinks you aren't a beginner at this game!
Where did you get the wire fencing panels.. the oblong stuff... from please?
And again...just WOW! excellent picture blog....

Hi Nomspatch.. Honest I was brand new to allotmenteering and total beginner to showing veg when I started the plot in November as well as the photo blog. I have grown veg for years on my flat roof here and in Zimbabwe on my 12 acre plot (just a wee bit bigger than my 10 rod plot here).. I did all the work as you can see from the pics and am now really chuffed with it. Digging this year has been so easy because I dug really deep last year. Now its just one spade depth (instead of 3) and then I got a rotavator to break it up once it was dry. I need to update my blog now with the latest workings over the last few weeks..

The security fence panels I got free from a building site. I just popped in and spoke to the Gaffer and asked if I could have some bent and broken ones when they finished on site - I got 21 in fairly good condition!!

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2013, 14:48:26 »
Spent three hours digging couch grass and creeping buttercup out of a patch about 10ft x 6ft.  :BangHead:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2013, 14:54:56 »
nothing been watching alternate Sun, Rain and Hale :(

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2013, 15:12:53 »
Making a 'new' bed for the squashes, against the fence in the sunniest part of the garden, going to train them up the fence.
Opened the planted cloches for a bit of a breather..the sun is HOT!
Now on a breather, afternoon glass of home made Blackcurrant wine and a peanut butter cookie also home made...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:10 »
More sweetcorn transplanted and some seeds direct
Last of the spuds in with last of the Desire and 20 Cara in
Planted some brassicas I was given on the lottie
Sowed 5 Butternut direct
Hoe-ed, weeded and watered
 :sunny:     :blob7:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2013, 00:25:07 »
Got the rest of the currently sown peas in, will resow some more soon, also got in the last of the Kohl Rabi, all of the shallots, most of the onions, the rest of the carrots, and a small patch of parsnips (enough for me) ... hoping the rain waters them in tonight/tomorrow, and hopefully I can get the rest of the onions in tomorrow.... then apart from the brussels adn a few cabbages it'll be all about the tender stuff, tomatoes to go into the GH border at the weekend, peppers adn chillis into biggish pots, fruit plants from biggish pots into the ground and the fruit trees and shelling beans to harden off... and sow the pumpkins, squashes, gherkins and sweetcorn into the hot-bed to germinate while I'm away at a festival........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal