Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 96497 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2013, 23:08:48 »
More peas planted. Kent Blue, Winterkefe, Salmon-Flowered, Mummy, Mummy White, and two Umbellatas which only have accession numbers attached to them.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2013, 16:00:27 »
Well got pea seeds in and broad beans ,planted cabbage and cawlis  plants put in onions ,and we re covered our cages with blue scaffy netting started to rain so came home  :wave:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2013, 18:05:38 »
Go t my potatoes in (only a row and a half this year) and some broad beans. Sowed french beans and cucumber at home and started courgettes chitting on kitchen towel.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2013, 20:04:21 »
Brought back the mini greenhouse i bought from B&M and had it replaced with this one http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/deluxe-hexagonal-greenhouse-251887 been a bit wet to do very much in the garden today. Fingers crossed i can get this greenhouse built tomorrow and then i can get sowing the rest of the seeds i need to get going :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2013, 21:58:31 »
  :BangHead:
Nothing it's been raining here all day!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2013, 18:30:17 »
Spent a pleasant t four hours down the lottie in the sun wind and showers! Actually felt like Spring! Cleared a few more raised beds of old brassicas and weeds, covered my potato beds and hoping to plant next week if the weather holds, very enjoyable!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2013, 19:15:23 »
Big couple of days in the greenhouse... all the peppers adn tomatoes etc are now potted on, along with a lot of other stuff.... plus given the weather report (mild, some showers) I've moved all of the hardy stuff out of the GH, leaving the shelves free for the tender stuff when it coumes out of the hotbed.... there are trays and tray sof brassicas and peas everywhere all of a sudden. Given how big my GH is shifting most of its contents out take a while  so I decided against trying to get the spuds in tonight.... feel happy at what I got done though, that annual migration into hardening off mode generally limps along for several weeks... the only hardy stuff still in the GH is some very freshly germinated carrot seedlings in deep pots, a trough of salad getting over being transplanted , some Chinese artichokes (ditto), and a couple of pots of radishes I sowed today... did also get the cucumbers and beetroot sown in modules, along with another couple of strips of spring onions and a tray of poncy saladings in strip modules...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2013, 19:37:07 »
I've been planting potatoes...18 varieties in ground and another 5 left to do (must remember not to hide my seed potato stash away so I don't end up buying more and more :BangHead:) We emptied chicken pen bedding onto allotment and moved the lawns..FIRST CUT :icon_cheers:..to get plenty of 'good stuff' into potato trenches.
OH rotavated our rubbish piling/bonfire area and now I've got lovely 'new' big area to grow loads of more 'stuff'..though it will need  couple of more rotavation sessions before it can be used..no doubt there is lots of weed seeds to come through as that part of the plot is not used for some years...and there 'was' my JA rows..no way I've been able to dig all the tubers out in one go...so lots of more digging to do yet :BangHead:
I gave cardboard mulch for some black currant bushes..hopefully it saves me from some weeding this summer :glasses9:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2013, 19:41:53 »
Oh yes...and I prepared bed for the sugar beet..now it needs layer of compost..another turn over and left to rest for few more weeks and then the seeds can go in  :icon_cheers:
Oh..and I've been laying slabs on soil too...carrying making beds smaller and saving them being walked over and hopefully no need for digging anymore :icon_cheers:
..and now I'm going to hang down from my 'bat board' to straighten up my aching back... :drunken_smilie:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2013, 20:20:12 »
Are you living on another planet where there are more hours in the day, Anja? I was out most of the day but managed to sow some swede and more herbs and wildflowers when I got back.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2013, 21:30:18 »
Are you living on another planet where there are more hours in the day, Anja? I was out most of the day but managed to sow some swede and more herbs and wildflowers when I got back.
Ah...that list of jobs included what I did yesterday as well as today...but each day I spent good 6 hrs outdoors... :icon_cheers:
Not more hours in the day but certainly lots more day light now  :icon_cheers:

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2013, 09:01:39 »
I went down to lotty yesterday Sunday, and planted more cawlis,and brussels,and broc, did the netting over them ,came back home like the hunch back . :toothy10:

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2013, 17:27:06 »
Ray planted out some cauli and early fennel. I sat and sweated transplanting . Watered everything  :icon_cheers:

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2013, 17:39:46 »
seven hours today so excuse my sitting here with a glass of red and a cigar.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #214 on: April 15, 2013, 17:44:37 »
Just got back from my 1st full days graft on the plot this season...........

6 rows of spuds,Annabelle Salads,and Maris Piper 2nd Earlies.

Planted 40 Vigarmor Banana Shallots in 1 Raised bed.

Planted 100 Centurion Onion sets in another Raised bed.

Planted 200 Sturon Onion sets in another Raised bed.

Planted 100 Red Baron sets in another Raised bed.

Planted Raised bed of Picardy White Garlic.

ran out of gas..................phew.......been gagging to get me finger out but weather just hasnt leant itself ....but today was different gravy.... :blob7:

Gazza

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2013, 21:59:25 »
Not a lot far 2 windy checked my propagator and the poppy seeds are all up should be able to pot them on soon only took a few days!!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2013, 22:27:59 »
Got the rotavator out adn put the trenches in for the spuds (will try to get spuds in in next couple of days)... moved the big sheet of black plastic to a bit that was the weedy bit left on plot two.... tried to have a calculation of how much space I can let fruit have and it looks like I'll be OK... need to practice my row lining for the spuds though... I can live with some slight bendiness, but I've got to plants some for a friend at the weekend and I don't know how OCD they are about straight lines.... Looks like I'll need to water everything that went outside yesterday... predicted showers didn't get to us an dno rain likely for a few days.... that'll be an early start tomorrow....<sigh>

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:23 »
20 Charlottes went in sunday and I sowed 32 sweetcorn yesterday.    :happy7:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2013, 07:39:16 »
This week busy, busy, busy
Onions red and white
Potatoes  Desiree, Annabelle (Did so well last year) and Mayan Gold
Found some strawberry runners in pots which I though were dead and planted them out
Sowed carrots, parsnips, beetroot
Put some more chitted broad beans under bottle cloches.
Weeds getting active mostly fat hen and dandelions so did some hoeing and chopping.
Feed the raspberries.   Netted strawberries to stop deer nibbling the leaves.   
Removed couch from amongst strawberries.  Dratted nuisance, luckily last year in this postition so will get dug through when they have cropped.   

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2013, 19:47:27 »
Planted Rhubarb and Asparagus from the 99p shop
A bit of weeding
Watered a few of the seedlings.      :toothy10:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal