Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 96526 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2013, 18:29:51 »
And your back is still in one piece, vague?

Good for you.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2013, 22:01:23 »
I planted lots of seeds at my kitchen sink now every windowsill are full in less then a week the cornflowers are coming through  :toothy10: my stuff at the Lotty are doing nothing ,am fed up with snow ,wet, cold wind, things for me seem so far behind . :BangHead:

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2013, 23:01:04 »
And your back is still in one piece, vague?

Good for you.

Back could do with bit of a break!!! But feel much better now its out, and have more growing space!!

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2013, 00:36:39 »
Loads of snow still here got a few seeds growing in conservatory

marcofez

• Not So New ...
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2013, 17:31:28 »
Took apart some pallets. Hoping to use wood for some unknown project soon! Sowed some salad leaves and radish, plus some baby carrots in the greenhouse border.

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2013, 10:38:10 »
In the garden in  this weather!!!!!

I am hanging on with the seeds apart from the tomatoes, celeriac and parsley in the propagator and broad beans, cabbage, sweet peas and early beetroot in the little paper pots in the utility. No sign of the leeks yet.

Can't do anything on the lotty apart from slip sliding away.

This is playing in the kitchen weather, so is another jam and marmalade day.

marcofez

• Not So New ...
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2013, 15:45:22 »
Another pallet taken apart today. Burnt some rubbish and sowed some self saved flower seeds from a neighbours plot (yes, had permission! ) Don't know what they are, but when they flower will get her to tell me the varieties and names.
Going to put my seed box in order as I dropped it and everything was mixed up. So will see what's what and hopefully sow some seeds next time I go, in trays and modules in the polytunnel.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2013, 15:50:21 »
Got some sprouts, calabrese and cauli up. Transplanted some lettuce, sweet peas, and beetroot  :happy7:

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2013, 13:00:32 »
Yippee - had manure delivered this morning - bright beautiful day for the first time in ages. Also got first really good pickings from PSB, previously only a small handful. Shame mother in law is nearly here as would be up the lottie but have to do some tidying ....

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2013, 12:56:15 »
Too cold in the garden so did some seed planting in the kitchen. Nicotiana, cabbage, brussels, calabrese, roma tomatoes, and potted on sometomatoes, celeriac, and parsley.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2013, 13:46:52 »
Still under snow here in W Mids. although just about able to see grass on lawns now.  Potted up some tommies but that is about it.  Will sow some cabbage today methinks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2013, 17:35:56 »
Cut back plants in the garden and did some shredding. Cold wind but sunny.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2013, 17:46:31 »
Well the weekend has been pretty good... did some tidying up and pruning of the last few non-edible shrubs... shifted various bits around in the greenhouse and potted up what turned out to be 8 trays of brassicas... mixture of Calibos, various kohl rabi's, and an assortment o fbrussels... sowed some carrots in deep pots, some peas in bedding strips (Hurst Green Shaft, Telefono, Jumbo and Ne Plus Ultra), also sowed some poncy salads and moved stuff out of house propagators into greenhouse hotbed (6x3 frame with a 40 foot soil warming cable in it) ... got up the plot, not as traumatic as I'd been expecting, managed to run the rotavator over the potato bed and harvest the last of the parsnips, the allotment brussels adn the celeriac...s till got brussels at home, and noticed that in a rather neglected net tunnel I have several small but perfectly formed savoy cabbages.... so dinner tonight will be home-made veggie baked beans withthe spare dried beans from last years crop, frozen homegrown tomatoes, celeriac and frozen homegrown sweetcorn..... served on roasted parsnips with brussels.... and it will all be homegrown bar some cooking oil and herbs... plus the leeks I'll use in the beans cos I ran out of mine a while ago....

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2013, 18:23:53 »
Sectioned off and rotovated a 1.7M x 4.0M strip of the allotment and then put some cloches and carpet over it. Put in some onion sets that i've been given.
Picked some purple sprouting broccoli and perpetual spinach.
Watered the stuff that's coming on in the GH ready for planting out.

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2013, 18:48:54 »
Gave the grass its first cut of the year, pulled out an old wire fence that had been annoying me for years, and started clearing the strip where my raspberries are supposed to be. Great to be outside, and not too cold if you keep on the move!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2013, 18:54:57 »
Was grey and cold and a freezing blast until about 4 o'clock, then the sun came out!!!  could do quite a bit of digging and finally planted the garlics and shallots that were growing in deep seed trays in the greenhouse because the garden was too wet to do this in October.  They have a decent root system on them and have put on quite a bit of growth, hope this hasn't delayed them too much, never had to have them in the greenhouse over winter before, but no choice as we were so swampy.  Still very damp, could not rotavate yet as it is too wet for that, but can do some good with a fork.  Can feel a few muscles now ............... 

I did mostly coarse digging leaving big clods of clay for the frost to break up, but some areas got their second going over and those that had two already got planted.  At last!!!  :blob7:

Other than that - potted up a bit and sowed a few more tomatoes for the propagator and made a few paper pots whilst watching the telly.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2013, 19:09:30 »
Had a lovely day at the allotment. Dug over three beds and covered an area with some tunnel cloches to warm the soil. I will sow spinach and beetroot under these next week.
I gave my garlic and leeks a bit of a feed......they need something after the long harsh winter!.

Harvested the last of my carrots they were in excellent condition considering they have been in the ground all winter.
 Planted a new rhubarb plant. Weeded the fruit cage. Weeded the leek and garlic bed. Was only supposed to be at the allotment for an hour and spent three  :icon_cheers:!!!
oh and I sowed some more broad beans in the greenhouse in pots as my first lot took ages to germinate and I only got about 50% germination.
Tomorrow I will sow some cabbage and cauliflower seeds. If we have a few more dry days I might be able to get my potatoes in.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2013, 20:11:04 »
- got depressed over how much the cold wind over last week has dried the soil despite the snow
planted 2 beds of early potatoes which I covered up - ulster classic, red robin and annabelle.
found more couch grass to remove from asparagus bed :(

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2013, 19:56:05 »
Potted on celeriac and tomatoes, sitting in the sun and it was warm enough that I didn't need a coat. Lubberly. :sunny:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2013, 20:26:59 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal