Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 96521 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2013, 13:51:54 »
Planted 140 onions, the whites were starting to look a bit iffy so better in the ground. Transplanted some of my competition toms and school windowsill ones. I'm going to have to clear the landing windowsill  :toothy10:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2013, 16:06:14 »
Had to pop out today and a small detour on the way back took me to the organic plant shop in doddington. Have just finished planting up 6 round cabbage, 3 pointed cabbage and 3 cauli baby plants (10p each), a blackberry bush (£1.50) and 5 large potted herbs (£4 for 5) Taragon, mint, thyme, flat & curly parsley. Now back inside warming up with a cup of tea.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2013, 21:04:19 »
Got the early spuds in outside, transplanted some kohl rabi, pixie and ricoletto cabbage. Sowed some flower seeds for the plant sale. Hope it warms up by May  :toothy10:

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2013, 21:33:34 »
Its nasty and cold.. So when the rain stopped I banged in some posts outside the onion bed to give them more room and replaced the net I'd taken off last week.....Got to look after these, the ones in the poly waiting for spring look chilled off...  :sad9:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2013, 01:34:00 »
Pouring rain here, but bought slug pellets, lily bulbs and wood to fix a bench.

Tending my indoor seedlings and repotted 5 cuttings of Wave petunias which are growing by leaps and bounds and pumping out buds. They might become THUGS!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2013, 20:00:32 »
Barrowed some more compost and filled another raised bed.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2013, 20:05:45 »
Transplanted some more tomatoes and made out some instruction pages to explain how to use some of the herbs  :happy7:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2013, 22:35:03 »
Found termites living in a bench! :BangHead: Planed down some new wood for it.

Seedlings sprouting: a few Wallflowers, maybe some Standing Cypress (both experimental for me); transplanted some marigold seedlings

Moved some heavy pots outside, weeded lettuce and tom beds

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2013, 21:31:58 »
Sleet and Snow here today nipped out long enough to check cabbage plants were all ok :) Phew
Visited Harriets Nursery and they are growing veg for there veg plot outside on a nice sunny shelf and there was a sign asking for seeds so tomorrow i am going to pull out some for them. Last week they had some eggs to hatch and Harriet helped feed the baby chickens what popped out.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2013, 22:09:47 »
:Planned to move a compost heap on the lottie but ended up barrowing tons of scalpings to fill in potholes. It's amazing how the folk who drive down the track are absent when they're delivered  :BangHead:
sanity is overated

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2013, 16:28:19 »
Temp in the poly  15 degrees so nice enough to transplant some lettuce and sow some more carrots into deep pots. If I can't grow outside, I'm going to pack the poly with as many crops as I can. Weather is doing my head in  :BangHead:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2013, 16:57:27 »
Too flipping cold here so, since OH wasn't here to moan, I potted up some baby toms in the kitchen and then made some marmalade.    More snow and horrors expeceted tomorrow but should be dry and sunny for a couple of days after that and just above freezing so I can get out and do some clearing.
Obxx - Vendée France

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2013, 17:04:06 »
Been digging at a very stubborn tree stump that doesn't seem to want to move! Hoping to get it out soon so I can deal with the small matter of getting the rest of the plot ready!!!

Also been planting onion seeds, artichokes and peas...indoors. Too cold for anything else!!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2013, 17:49:19 »
While carefully transplanting at the kitchen sink I flipped a tray of seedlings into the water :BangHead: so I cannot tell some of the tomatoes apart now (and 3 of them were experimentals.) Fortunately though, this year I'd divided all the tomato types between two trays, just in case.
All is not lost. :blob7:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2013, 00:08:31 »
While carefully transplanting at the kitchen sink I flipped a tray of seedlings into the water :BangHead: so I cannot tell some of the tomatoes apart now (and 3 of them were experimentals.) Fortunately though, this year I'd divided all the tomato types between two trays, just in case. All is not lost. :blob7:

That was a bit of good thinking!

In the past I labelled the trays containing small pots of newly potted on tomatoes. All was going well until the cat decided to pull out three of the four labels. This year she has taken to chewing the corner of a few large seed packets. I'm thankful she doesn't come to the plot with me and start digging everything up!

She is a very nice cat really.... my wife says  :tongue3:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2013, 00:49:57 »
Sometimes I wonder with all the things that can go wrong from the time we plant seeds, then pot them up, some cats/critters getting into them etc, then planting them out in chancy weather, is it worth it? And it explains why purchased plants cost so much.
On the other hand I hope to enjoy for the first time some tomatoes that pollinate even in blistering hot weather and also some tall "Chantilly Deep Orange Snapdragons" which are probably not going to be offered as plants locally. So I blunder ahead...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:55 »
I've been shovelling snow....and more snow...
All plants are buried under big mountains of the stuff as there is no where to put it in the garden other than on borders...patio has mountain of it...lots thrown against wall but not it doesn't stay there anymore...piles are high enough.
All the neighbours are out and about ...everybody shovelling..trying to make street accessible again..
Definitely no gardening here... :BangHead:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:44 »
I've been shovelling snow....and more snow...
All plants are buried under big mountains of the stuff as there is no where to put it in the garden other than on borders...patio has mountain of it...lots thrown against wall but not it doesn't stay there anymore...piles are high enough.
All the neighbours are out and about ...everybody shovelling..trying to make street accessible again..
Definitely no gardening here... :BangHead:

Time for seed catalogues and planning.... as well as a Sunday off. :happy7:

So far the latest snow has missed us but it's pretty cold and drab.

vague

• Not So New ...
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2013, 18:15:54 »
Finally.... victory for this particular woman.....defeat for stubborn tree stump!!!  Just the job of moving it off site!!!  :icon_cheers:

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2013, 18:29:34 »
Sowed some herb seeds. Transplanted some more tomatoes and peppers. Pricked out some celeriac, amazing when you put a pinch of seed in a pot, got 30 seedlings out of it  :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal