Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 96636 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2013, 17:59:29 »
went for mushroom compost, came back with 9 bags for 18.00. sowed 8 more types of tom, I'm being good, only 4 or 5 of each, burpless cucs and 2 types of sweet pepper all in the propagator  :blob7: :toothy10:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2013, 18:53:28 »
So envious of those of you who are out there cracking on.  It's been freezing here again and we've had snow too.   Saw the doc today and i have to wait another 3 weeks to use my foot without the fancy protective boot.

Took comfort in sorting out my seeds and making a spreadsheet list of what I have and when to sow for when I can begin to get some gardening done.
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2013, 21:10:58 »
I managed about 30 min outside today mostly tidying up and taking stock as i have been promised a delivery of wood chips tuesday/wednesday depending on what i get it mostly will have to be wheel barrowed into the back of the garden as the birds have been using most of what i put down to nest in and have had quite a bit rot down as it was all fresh last spring. So monday i need to pop out make holes for the plants i want to pop in and sink these 1/2 into the ground while its still wet so i can dig it and leave it sticking up so i can find it after i pop the wood chips down.

Either way i am still thawing out :(

Annemieke

• Quarter Acre
    • Thought for Food
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2013, 13:44:10 »
All I did outside, was handing over some autumn raspberry canes to an interested party from Freecycle. Otherwise I happily spent the morning behind the computer, working on the May issue of Thought for Food. May seems a long way away still, and it reminded me that, not having any covered crops, the advantage of February is that I can still tuck into my leeks, swede, broccoli, beet, spinach and what have you! :tongue3:
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil.

Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2013, 13:49:42 »
Transplanted sweet peas into 10 buckets for the plant sale in may, Ray sorted another potato bed in the polytunnel  :blob7:

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2013, 19:29:20 »
Took lots of penstemon and lemon geranium cuttings. Ray moved 5 blueberry bushes home from plot 2. More fruit at home, yaaay   :toothy10:

blackkitty2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2013, 19:45:59 »
Repotted and divided loads of venus flytrap plants. I have quite a few, so this is week three of being holed up in the greenhouse. Only a couple of hundred more to go.....Then I start on the Sarracenia pitcher plants. Sigh. Then it's up the plot to start off this year's growing. No rest eh!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2013, 00:27:13 »
Too cold in the sunny south for doing anything much in the garden. Normally I'd be out there braving the chill but so much time spent indoors at 21oC looking after my parents I'm really feeling the cold at present.  :sad10:

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2013, 17:29:18 »
Yesterday i had 2-3 ton of wood chips delivered so i have been moving these onto my front garden and back beds.

These were fresh i am told its pine but does not have much of a smell and very little leaf so its hard to tell what type of pine oh well.

I am leaving a small space around the plants as i know fresh chippings can be quite acidic they have promised me the trees were not sick just getting 2 big.

I have some chippings left do you think that i can bag these up and put them in the garage and it would be safe dont want them to catch fire or combust :) I think that these can be used in a few months to top up what i have already put down :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2013, 16:23:53 »
Planted out a few challenge spuds
Weeded
Fleece tunnel cloched a patch of strawberrys
Tried to dig out broken runnerbean post and concrete.      :wave:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 16:49:08 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2013, 16:46:40 »
Did abit of tidying up in the flower beds still cant hoe as soil is to wet, but lite the chimera burnt twiggy bits will use the ash in the lotty ,also racked more oak leaves up theres a lot this year.nice cup of coffee now  :coffee2:

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2013, 21:23:17 »
well having had to stop moving chippings before my back gave out it turned out i had a mild version of the flu was seing double friday afternoon and my the evening had passed out peacefully woke up today about 1pm feeling like i had been 10 rounds with a boxer and with a nasty cough.  Am contemplating getting some more bits finished tomorrow but only because i need husband to help with replanting an apple tree and bag up the wood chips.

On the upside my alpine stawberrys i planted 2 weeks ago have there first green leaf :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2013, 23:46:21 »
I had four lovely hours at the lottie today, and spent all of it pruning and weeding. The soil is so much drier and warmer than a couple of weeks ago, but I'm resisting sowing anything until tomorrow when the propagator and heater are in situ in the greenhouse. It's looking a lot tidier now, it's amazing how much you can get done in the sun! My back is feeling it now though.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2013, 20:38:03 »
First lawn mowing of the year in the back garden.      :sunny:

Annemieke

• Quarter Acre
    • Thought for Food
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2013, 21:50:21 »
Everything I could! It was such lovely weather, at last. For the first time I wasn't cold.
However, there wasn't much to do ..... Most of our veg grows down the allotments, which is Mike's domain and out of bounds for me (not that I mind!). I weeded the beds in the garden and gave the Raggedy Jacks some compost. We're very short of compost this year as the cows next doors never went outside, so Mike could not go and collect manure. Didn't sow anything yet - I've learned my lesson and wait patiently till the soil warms up. Mike's been busy though, soaking beans and the like.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil.

Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset UK: http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2013, 19:32:09 »
Took grass cuttings, home compost peelings, spent flowers and shredded paper and mixed into dalek on the plot.  :wave:

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2013, 19:48:49 »
Transplanted aquilegias, pinks, teasels and cabbages. Sowed more cucs as only 1 of 4 burpless came up  :happy7:

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2013, 21:03:17 »
Started to put up poly tunnel from first tunnels. Base plates in ground,hoops, storm braces, stabilizers, crop bar and 2 bars across top of tunnel. Although good video's and instruction booklet there are always bits they do not go into enough detail and this involves alot of discussion before being able to progress.Tomorrow making up doors and putting together base rails. As the weather is getting colder will leave polythene until a warm day.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2013, 21:19:16 »
Although good video's and instruction booklet there are always bits they do not go into enough detail and this involves alot of discussion before being able to progress..

What bit you having  problem with? I've just completed a 35 foot tunnel from them and I found it all very easy to erect. The instructions and video's were really clear and informative.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2013, 20:44:18 »
I just got down to the plot quickly to dump some compost. It's been raining all day, and I'm recovering from a nasty dose of the runs. That's my excuse, anyway!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal