Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)  (Read 97809 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today? (Part 2)
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2013, 18:28:39 »
Sat in the poly and communal greenhouse all day, potting on and sowing seeds. 80 degrees in the communal poly this morning, Took the first of the tommies and put them inside a plastic greenhouse inside the poly, hopefully they will be ok  :happy7:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2013, 21:08:14 »
Cleared a load of rubbish.  Made a bonfire pile and a good "to use in the future" wood pile.  Bagged up all the plastic stuff I've found for the dump.  Dug out a cubic metre of nettle and dock roots in reclaiming new-ground where I didn't get to last year.  Covered the area in black fabric and planted gooseberries, blackcurrants and Aldi's very cheap strawberry plants.  Then dug over one of last year's beds.

Knackered ... but making up for lost time.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2013, 18:35:20 »
I had a very upset plotholder phone this morning to report a burnt out shed on another plot, but I had something else on and couldn't get down to see it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2013, 16:00:24 »
Transplanted 10 tomatoes into bottomless buckets of our compost and covered with a glass cloche , got to start, too many plants, no windowsill space left  :toothy10:
Sowing the first of the inside dwarf french beans tomorrow, the edible seeds from RHS arrived so sowed some nasturtiums and marigolds  :happy7:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2013, 16:00:28 »
So far not a sausage!

Went over to my parents at 10:30am and got back at 3:30pm - the planned escape cancelled.
I knew something would scupper my plans.  :BangHead:

Did breakfast & drinks, changed the bedding, washed kitchen & bathroom floors, Vaxed a couple of carpets....... then it was lunch time.... so the day wore on.

And no Personal Care Assistant in this evening - (got a cold) - Yep...the sun's out so it's down to me as usual.  :hmh:
I might have the time and energy to cut the lawns but that'll be it for the day.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2013, 16:19:36 »
Too full of a cold for the allotment, but pottered in the greenhouse and garden at home, sowing a few more seeds and cutting back some more dead stuff. It actually felt like spring at last!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2013, 20:35:59 »
I spent an hour cleaning the garden scrubbing trampoline etc and watering followed by another hour trying and failing to put up a mini greenhouse given up on idea and going to make own once i finish the coshes. Husband thinks i am mad as a box of frogs so no change there :) Harriet said it was 2 cold but did stay out and help for a good while and loves watering so i think tomorrow i will be taking her gardening things out of storage soon :) Weather forcast is for a cold tomorrow and the week gradually getting warmer so fingers crossed i can get my garlic, shallots, onion, cabbages into there final planting places and that means i can get the seeds out again and i might actually get to plant something!!!

Also need to pull the seeds out for Harriet to take to nursery for there veggi garden going to send them some teenie weeny runner beans and patty pan as well as some herbs and tomatoes. They have broadbeans in at the moment.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2013, 11:47:53 »
just sat in the lovely sunshine and talked and talked to a  fellow plotter, did nowt on the plot, will see how the weather goes before I make a start planting things out.

:coffee2: :wave:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:50:05 by jimtheworzel »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2013, 17:41:34 »
Yesterday in the Sunshine  :sunny: I Planted some Rhubarb and Asparagus Crowns the OH bought in the 99p shop, repaired the R Bean post and had a clear up on the plot.   :glasses9:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2013, 18:40:29 »
All spuds in bar 1 bed, sowed and transplanted some more seeds/seedlings for the plant sale  :happy7:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2013, 19:44:29 »
Planted a few peas. Carouby de Mausanne and Latvian.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2013, 23:46:11 »
I only have a small patch but this weekend I have turned it all, dealt with weeds and grass etc. I have put in the onion sets too.
Also been ruthless and dug up the rhubarb, it looks worse for wear and we never get any decent sticks from it, we never eat it. I had loads of onions to go in so I managed to get in a few more where the rhubarb was.
I also noticed 3 gooseberry bushes have died this year. 3 sprouting nicely and 3 dead. So thats next weekends work and will free up some more space too.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2013, 10:12:21 »
I have been growing peas indoors in 5 gutters and put them out on the plot yesterday, securely covered against rabbits, birds and frost. Same with broad beans grown in loo rolls - I never do this normally, but this is not a normal spring..... Rabbits are so desperate they are trimming the leeks back but strangely not as far as into the stems - and also eating parsnips greens.

My family helped me to put up a 3x2m polytunnel over Easter - my first ever! - and I put some lettuce seedlings into it that had overwintered crammed into a pot in a useful coldframe I won from the RHS two years ago. Hope they come to something in this splendid shelter.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2013, 07:39:44 »
Done the first coarse dig on a lot of area that is still damp but now finally workable, took out buckets of convulvulus roots.  Dug over the places that had been previously coarse dug.  Planted broadbeans and peas under bottle cloches, but there are a lot of peas still to go, this will keep me busy a few more days.  Planted out the first lettuce and harvested a full salad bowl of greens from the greenhouse - second bowl of salad greens this week  :toothy10:

Potted up pepper plants in the conservatory.  I can see the first buds on one pepper plant.  At last this feels like spring.   :sunny:

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2013, 08:02:48 »
Ray startes our first lot of tall peas in milk cartons. Built me a cold frame for all the brassicas, it's too warm in the poly for them. I kept on with the transplanting and Ray earthed up the inside spuds, again. The smile seed potatoes are really doing well   :blob7:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2013, 19:51:10 »
Transplanted some cabbages into peat pots and put them out in the Summerhouse
Sowed 8 sweetcorn under glass
Sowed 4 Cucs in a bagged pot
Sowed some Sweetpeas.   :toothy10:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2013, 20:54:51 »
Cleared dead branches of my grass then raked it,planted a few Peppers,(sweet) seeds
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2013, 10:30:01 »
I planted some more peas yesterday. Carlin Pea, Goldensweet and Dwarf Grey Sugar Pea. I'm only planting the round-seeded varieties at the moment; wrinkle-seeded ones can wait till the temperature's up in the teens. Don't think I'll be down today as I'm helping with the food bank and doing church stuff.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2013, 16:31:13 »
Actually got to spent some time in the garden last 2 days, yesterday i managed to dig over 2 of my beds and 1/2 plant one yesterday with my cabbage plants. Also Sowed Yesterday

For Front Garden

melianthus major,
Fatsia Japonica,
Lobelia

For Back garden

Flower
Poppy - Pink Fizz
Marigold - Scarlet
Veg Bit
Sweetcorn - 8 cells each of Cherokke White flower, Cherokee white eagle and cherokee long ear small popcorn and 9 cells of sweetcord ambrosia

Today i have planted my garlic, shallots and onions as well as some rows of carrots seeds.

Am very sore but lots of rain due tonight ideal for giving everything a good start before the promised warm weather.

:) Cam

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #199 on: April 11, 2013, 21:17:38 »
Lurked outside. Looked at rocket, looked at peas, looked at mustard greens. Avoided eye-contact with the beets. Smiled at the Ideal Red carrots starting to poke through in a large container. Went into GH. Lurked. Looked outside. Looked at stuff inside. Smoked a f*g, drank some tea. Still couldn't find anything to actually do. There doesn't even seem to be any slugs to kill. Gave up, went inside and got on with the housework. I'll be doing my April sowings on Monday, so I suppose it's the calm before the storm.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal