Author Topic: Who made the effort.  (Read 4815 times)

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
Re: Who made the effort.
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 21:33:05 »
I voted independant.

On first vote had 4 times as many votes as the Conservative, on second part had twice as many votes.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 22:54:07 »
I always vote......women died to get the vote.

Waste of money though.....typical Tory idea.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 23:10:21 »
I vote independant.   Don't see why we need them.  Feel the money could have been better spent putting a few more bobbys on the beat.  Getting to much like the yanks for my liking.  Never imported anything any good from there yet. :BangHead: :BangHead:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 00:29:23 »
I agree with what many others have said on here and that is that politics shouldn't come into it.  With this in mind, my OH and I voted for the two Independents.  However, the Con man got in anyway as we are in Wiltshire.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:07 »
Most of the Independents are ex-police or related to the police force in some way.  I am not so sure I would vote for them either.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:21 »

Waste of money though.....typical Tory idea.
:thumbsup:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 17:05:16 »
Very annoying! After 40 odd years of never voting for the winning candidate in any election I broke my duck. Rats!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 18:08:20 »
Went to the voting station and spoiled my vote by writing a message that I considered short and to the point.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 18:24:24 »
I'm just glad we didn't have these difficult decisions to take here in Scotland. It kind of seems a bit like playing at democracy at a cost but, like many others, I would have felt compelled to vote simply because the right to vote is such a precious and hard won thing.

Policing should not be politicised but it is as subject to abuse, with  or without elected commissioners, as any area of our society.

I would vote for morality and moral integrity. That seems to be what is lacking in our society which is all about instant profit and  getting something "over" the law or even hiding behind the law to behave in an unethical way (tax avoidance - legal but morally reprehensible).

Getting on my soapbox here a bit but I also think the parliament should not be telling us what we ought to believe (ethical matters such as e.g. abortion).

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 18:51:31 »
If you use Facebook you'll know what I mean when I say I miss the like button.

Even with 14% turnout we got CONned!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 05:34:12 »
We didn't get a vote either.   :tongue3:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 07:30:42 »
Apparently it was in the Conservative party manifesto at the general election.   I suspect the theory of police commissioners being elected by the people is better than the practice of selecting local police committees from local politicians with axes to grind but the execution of this idea has certainly left much to be desired and they've still ended up with political affiliations.

I don't think politics and policing mix too well.

As for parliament telling us what we should believe - allowing women to get a safe abortion is humane but does not require the entire population to believe in it if they disagree.   Abortion is about personal choice and no-one's business but the woman in need.

On the other hand, sometimes it takes the passing of a law before certain moral behaviours become the norm in society - slavery, women's votes, racism, sexual discrimination, drink driving and so on.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal