Author Topic: Organic blight spray  (Read 3444 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Organic blight spray
« on: May 12, 2013, 21:58:49 »
I've been following this guys youtube channel for a while but got a bit behind over winter. At 2:00 mins he talks about using a Calendula and Thyme infusion to use as an anti-blight spray. Has anyone ever come across this before? If so what were the results?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imBY68vBACs

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Organic blight spray
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 18:35:37 »
Thymol is an effective fungicide, so it might work.

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 23:54:07 »
I might give it a shot on half of the tomatoes, in that case. Nothing ventured etc.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:35:24 »
Sounds interesting.  Will give it a whorl.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:40 »
Yes, give it a go on half your tomatoes and compare the results.

Unimpressed with the guy, claiming that his sprayed potatoes did not get blight while his unsprayed tomatoes did get blight shows that it works.

My outdoor toms always get blight, but only once have the spuds had it, so I am very sceptical, but do the experiment and prove me wrong.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Gordonmull

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 22:06:32 »
Yes, give it a go on half your tomatoes and compare the results.

Unimpressed with the guy, claiming that his sprayed potatoes did not get blight while his unsprayed tomatoes did get blight shows that it works.

My outdoor toms always get blight, but only once have the spuds had it, so I am very sceptical, but do the experiment and prove me wrong.

You have a point there, Chrispy, which I overlooked. Never had a year without the blight on tomatoes either. Last year was my first potato year, so I've no real experience of those. They got it last year. Big surprise considering our summer was a gigantic Smith Period.

For him to have trialled properly the same cultivar, let alone species, should have been compared. I might have to move some of mine around to separate some of the same variety for treatment. No blight alerts as yet (long may that last) so I've not done anything about it yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal