Author Topic: Really pissed off. Left lottie in tears  (Read 15467 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Really pissed off. Left lottie in tears
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:16:48 »
I have now lost more than 8 winter cabbages.  I have only had one from the beds they are going from.  It is not just the odd one, it is becoming systematic theft.

There does not seem much point in all the work and costs if someone else is eating it all.   If someone thinks they are free, they are not free to me.

I had hoped they would last the whole winter, so come February/March I will have to pay to replace them.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Really pissed off. Left lottie in tears
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:33 »
I'm really sorry to hear that Digeroo. How frustrating for you. Have you any idea who is doing it?

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:41:57 »
Oh no, how horrid, is there anyone to report this to? I would go round blabbing about this to anyone that will listen in the hope the message gets back to whoever it is that you are so upset. Dont let the so and sos grind you down Digs
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:58 »
I would feel like putting something on them which would not taste nice. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 10:06:06 »
I have my suspicions. 

I go to the lottie because my OH is rather difficult after a stroke.  These thefts take away my sanctuary from stress.

My OH also suggested putting something unpleasant on them.  Suggestions as to what would be welcome.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:15:25 »
That's awful, I am so sorry. One solution might be to announce to all and sundry that you really have added something terrible to the cabbages, rather than actually do it!

I hope you find the scumbag who did it and I hope they are banned for life from the site

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:11:42 »
I put at a sign saying Do not pinch my veg but that did not work.

I am raking round the beds in the hope of gathering some foot prints.

What I really want is a photo of them at it, but it will not be easy?   

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:48:33 »
Many thanks for you comments.  You have cheered me up.  I just could not face the thought of going to lottie.  But I have bought some more raspberries and they need planting.

It is the first year ever I have grown really decent winter cabbages.    I was soooo proud of them.   They hated it in my garden.   Maybe now I have got the winning formula I can grow them at home next year.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:44:17 »
have the cabbage been cut or twisted off

if cut it looks like a plotter, who carrys a knife for the job, if twisted off it may be an outsider, kids perhaps

jim

Davidberry

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:55:19 »
How about getting one of these infra red wildlife cameras?  A bit expensive to protect a few cabbages but it would be lovely to hide something like this in your compost heap and catch the bugger red handed!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acorn-Wildlife-Trail-Infrared-Camera/dp/B00873DB5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352983805&sr=8-1

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 13:16:39 »
Spread the word that the reason they are so big is that you pee on them daily. If the story reaches the offender, they won't be back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 14:06:41 »
Some one on our site managed to grow some nice carrots without carrot fly and they got stolen, there have been suspicions for years about who it is. I am hoping to catch them at it and take a photo, but they area clever and tend to come on when no-one around. It is so difficult, really sorry I would be lived if it happened to me. Some people are toe rags!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 15:28:38 »
We hear stories from time to time about theft of produce, and someone on our site has papered the place with "Grow your own veg. Don't take mine" posters.

Recently we lost two nice cabbages, but the more we thought about it, the less we were convinced that it was theft.  For one thing, they were not the biggest, and for another, whatever had taken them had thoughtfully not moved any of the pegs holding down the netting.  So I think it was an animal pest of some sort, not a human one, although they certainly looked as though they'd been cut.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 16:06:35 »
They are removed totally including the root. Which is how I know it is not rabbits etc,   I always cut them higher since sometimes they will produce a small extra bit of cabbage.   I then dig them under the sweet corn.

Spread the word that the reason they are so big is that you pee on them daily
  Of course I put pee on them how do you think they got so big. :toothy10:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 17:17:25 »
Maybe if you have a freezer and they are ready  , you could harvest , prepare and put them into your freezer ? So sorry for you .
Trespassers will be composted !

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 17:41:56 »
That's awful! I lose a lot to pests but thankfully none to human pests so far. Maybe it's a sign of how desperate some people are?

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 18:10:25 »
They are removed totally including the root. Which is how I know it is not rabbits etc,   I always cut them higher since sometimes they will produce a small extra bit of cabbage.   I then dig them under the sweet corn.

Spread the word that the reason they are so big is that you pee on them daily
  Of course I put pee on them how do you think they got so big. :toothy10:

Glad you are able to smile about it now a bit. We all sympathise it is rotten, I tend to think that what goes around come around and that bad actions have a way of catching up with people.

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 18:31:08 »
Just spray some weekly with a chicken fertiliser, but make sure you know the ones you treated.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 18:36:20 »
How very disheartening.  Sorry to hear about the theft and that you were in tears.

Cabbage does keep for a long time cool, especially if the roots are 'planted' in damp sand in a box in the garage.  Take them home, before you lose any more. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 19:09:45 »
Tie a length of strong fishing line around the cabbage stalk and just rake a small amount of light soil to hide it. Tie a load of cans to the other end or one of those cheap personal/rape alarm gadgets. They won't come back again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal