Author Topic: New Nottingham and Derby Seed Circle - an 'in the flesh' group  (Read 8277 times)

aj

• Hectare
Hi all

Some of you may know me from a different forum - and that I work for a national organic gardening charity and teach SEN teenagers organic gardening.

So recently, after looking for a year for a suitable site in Nottingham - myself and another gardener [who had been looking to teach SEN teenagers and other groups organic gardening in Nottingham] - we finally found somewhere to 'call our own'.

It is the old Bulwell Hall Community Gardens, an old mining allotment site which was converted to community gardens about 15 years ago. We have a 30m polytunnel, a greenhouse, a schools area, a composting toilet, reed bed, pond, 29 ish raised beds, a teaching shed, a community hut, a small orchard, a Medlar and lots of potential!

We got the keys 2 months ago and have been clearing it ready to open it up in the Spring to locals and community volunteers etc.

As part of this, we want to host a Nottingham and Derby Seed Circle - so we are going to take the bull by the horns and are having a meeting on Saturday the 24th November - and I just wanted to invite A4A-ers as you have been very supportive over the last few years.

Our website is http://www.grogarden.org.uk/

If any A4A-ers want to come along, please fill the contact form in on the front page, and we'll add you to the list of attendees and send joining instructions - and look forward to meeting some of you.

Thanks all

AJ

aj

• Hectare
Re: New Nottingham and Derby Seed Circle - an 'in the flesh' group
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 17:36:06 »
Just bumping...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 18:12:08 »
Hi aj
I had a look at your website - it looks like a really good and worthwhile project, so good luck with its future development.

Unfortunately I am far too far away to get involved but I do hope that you get loads of support from local A4Aers!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 18:29:45 »
I have to be in Nottingham that day for an NSALG meetign, but I think that it will have finished before the meeting ends. Good luck aj, looks a great project.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 17:22:55 »
I have to be in Nottingham that day for an NSALG meetign, but I think that it will have finished before the meeting ends. Good luck aj, looks a great project.

Never mind - that's a shame. I know there are quite a few Derby/Notts people on here and was hoping that one might be interested in a local seed circle!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:58:13 »
How did it go?

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 11:45:48 »
Excellent - we had 8 people and have set up a Nottingham and Derby Seed Circle!

We did a large swap, I had loads of rare seeds there and the others all brought seeds with them and I came away with some new varieties that I'd not heard of.

And we had a good tour of the site and I think a couple of future sessions might have been planned.

All in all, a great day with some really fab people.  :blob7:

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 14:02:50 »
Sounds really good, it was tempting when driving past the signs for Bullwell not to follow them!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 17:09:42 »
Sounds really good, it was tempting when driving past the signs for Bullwell not to follow them!

I'll try and canvas for interest a few weeks before the next one - so we can try and get a free weekend. Problem is that so many people are part of so many groups in our patch that there is usually something on every weekend.

Perhaps an evening meet in a pub somewhere next time.   :coffee2:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 18:18:12 »

Perhaps an evening meet in a pub somewhere next time.   :coffee2:

Yes please!  Had daughter and fiance coming this weekend, but son lives in Nottingham and coming next time would be very easy, if there isn't a clash of dates.  Was really tempted and had a long look at the website.  So much achieved in such a short time too.   :happy7:

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 18:34:58 »
Thank you!

It helps when you have a plan. And plenty of  :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:00:59 »
Next meeting has been booked.

http://www.grogarden.org.uk/nottingham-and-derby-seed-circle.html

Please tell me if you want to come, either by PM here or using the contact form. Otherwise I won't bring enough consumables. That includes cake!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 21:00:00 »
Just bumping this - it's 3 weeks today so if anyone wants to come along, let me know.

Got about 10 coming hopefully - and tagging a netting workshop onto the end for anyone who wants to learn how to make their own pea and bean netting.  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:29 »
I'm guessing no interest from this forum - never mind!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 11:42:17 »
Oh I'm interested...sadly with the amount of amount of hobbies and 'to do' list getting longer by the day..tempting as you group is Im not able to 'stretch' for another thing anymore... :BangHead:
Must get back to cleaning..mother is coming over from Finland next week...

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 12:52:37 »
Sorry aj, rude not to reply.
I'm a bit like goodlife- too many hobbies! I had planned to go to the Loughborough Alpine show tomorrow but not sure if got energy for that due to having cold and bronchitis again :BangHead:

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 13:58:53 »
Sorry aj, rude not to reply.
I'm a bit like goodlife- too many hobbies! I had planned to go to the Loughborough Alpine show tomorrow but not sure if got energy for that due to having cold and bronchitis again :BangHead:

It's the 16th but not to worry.

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:12:46 »
The link is not working aj, can you put it up again?
You never know I may survive this "woman flu" or someone else might pick up on it

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 14:21:40 »
I hope I can come.  The net making sounds good too.  Could you please pm how to find the venue?

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 18:57:10 »
Linkie again...http://www.grogarden.org.uk/nottingham-and-derby-seed-circle-16th-march-2013-11am-1pm.html

I'll PM the directions in case you want to pop along.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal