Author Topic: Expensive pest food  (Read 2728 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Expensive pest food
« on: October 31, 2012, 15:37:56 »
I was well organised.  Got the pots from the recycling bin at the local gardem centre, filled with recycled
compost topped with seed compost, sowed the four packets of sweet pea seeds then waited.

Nothing.  Some varmit had eaten every seed, I could not find even one.   Gutted.   Had forgotten that last year I had chitted them first and started them off inside before throwing them outside.  Could be mice, voles or squirrels. 

Luckily have a couple of 50p wyevale packets.  Ordered some more from Fothergills they have not arrived yet.

Guy on next allotment planted out several trays of brassicas and they have been levelled.  Expensive slug food.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Expensive pest food
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 19:04:16 »
So demoralising when that happens. I reckon this has been one of the worst years for it.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 20:36:11 »
Not as expensive as losing 300 newly planted Crocus to mice. And now they are digging up the crocus which have been in the garden for years. Rat poison here we come.
Gardening is the great leveller.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 20:38:40 »
What about your cats, Eric?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:12:05 »
The cats refuse to go out at night as do our neighbours two. Odd really, we have always had night prowling cats before.
Gardening is the great leveller.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:47:54 »
We have to plant our sweet pea seeds under mesh in the greenhouse after them all being eaten by mice. Tony, our environmental officer puts poison in the middle of apples(takes out a plug, puts the poison in and puts the plug back in) These are put in drainpipes under the sheds, nothing can get at them, hopefully. This is for the occasional rat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal