Author Topic: Wind direction  (Read 1207 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Wind direction
« on: October 25, 2012, 19:42:16 »
Hello all.

I really ought to know the answer to this, but when the weather forecast states its a northerly wind is it blowing from the north or to the north?

Regards

Bluecar

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Wind direction
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 20:13:30 »
The wind direction is coming from the North to the south.   Overnight the country will have a north wind coming direct from the Arctic and our temperatures are going to plummet.   Aaaarhhh.   

:BangHead:

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:10:56 »
Thanks Carol.

Regards

Bluecar

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 15:25:45 »
Thanks for this.  I was not sure myself.   
Many years ago I seem to remember being told that the wind changed direction in March and October. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 16:15:53 »
Most often our wind comes from the West and brings mild moisture laden sea air from the Atlantic.  As Carol said, northerly winds are arctic blasts.  Southerly winds bring warmth from Spain and every now and then red dust straight from the Sahara.  Not sure what easterly winds signify weather wise?  But certainly in winter this is often also a cold direction bringing air from Siberia.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 19:59:31 »
In winter when we get an easterly wind it usually bad weather direct from Siberia.   Sometimes with an easterly wind during the summer we get fine weather from the continent.   

We had a flurry of snow off and on all day today.  I was in Edinburgh but when we got home the village had a fine lair of  snow.   Here we go again, winter here already and not even November.   

:BangHead:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal