Author Topic: AAAHHH CATERPILLARS!  (Read 2284 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
AAAHHH CATERPILLARS!
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:10:33 »
Any clues to what was lazily devouring my sprouts and PSB???

I got two pics: they are about a few centimetres long, they are a pale yellow with dark green markings, a little hairy but not too much.

They seem most keen on the brassicas. I managed to squish about all of them I think, but what are they?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: AAAHHH CATERPILLARS!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 13:00:10 »
Cabbage white butterfly caterpillars.
Somebody has got some picking to do....alternatively, you could try some gentle 'bashing'...shake or slap your plants in attempt to disturb the caterpillars so that they decide to drop down onto soil to save themselves from the 'monster' that shake the plants...you can then commit mass murder and hoe them in  :icon_cheers:

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 13:43:29 »
AH no, the little bardstads!   I have never even seen one of those butterflies!
Well, I did try to squish them all, but I am sure I didn't get them all! Will they eat anything else?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 15:48:57 »
Goodness you are lucky not to know what these are. One of the No 1 pests here requiring intensive netting for prevention.  :BangHead: They are pretty specific to brassicas but will also eat nasturtiums. Hope they continue infrequent visitors for you in la France!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:02 »
I do have lots of nasturtiums this year - do they attract the butterflies or are they a good companion plant to lure away the beasties? I didn't look to see if they were being eaten too.....
Actually I often net brassica for pigeons but didin't really need to do it this year. maybe that is the clue? I can't say I ever saw white butterflies though.
I was also affected by sawfly on the gooseberries this year, they ate them almost bare.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:53:12 »
They are very cunning little beasties, they can produce a thread and abseil down, or just drop onto the ground.  I find it is worth going back every day for two or three days because however carefully you squish you miss some.

They do not seem to like my nasturiums very much.   

Even though you did not see them there must be at least two!

Good idea to pursuade other plot holders to squish as many as possible to reduce attack next year.  It is another frustration on untended plots that they are also breeding butterflies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal