Author Topic: What I can spray to kill Berry-Bugs / Chiggers ??  (Read 12808 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
What I can spray to kill Berry-Bugs / Chiggers ??
« on: October 20, 2012, 23:52:41 »
Hi All - my arms and legs get bitten by berry-bugs / chiggers every time I pick berries on my plot. I have 30 rasp plants, 6 currant bushes and a damson at the bottom of my plot and whenever I work in the area or pick berries I get eaten alive..

I want to spray them before they get a chance to hibernate in the ground for winter.   I assume I need to spray with an insecticide of some sort but dont know what class or type of bug they are. No info on any bottles in our GC's have berry-bugs mentioned..

Any suggestions out there?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 23:54:15 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: What I can spray to kill Berry-Bugs / Chiggers ??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:11:43 »
THey're probably horseflies attracted by manure... certainly none of the UK fruit-flies can bite you...

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 13:04:06 »
No Chris - they are defo berry bug bites - I know horse flies.. These are tiny minute little tick like items.. and the bites come up in an oozing swelling itchy blister... then turn a bit septic and take about a month or more to go!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 13:20:53 »
Blimey they sound nasty things  :evil1:
I'd not heard of them before, sorry can't help with your problem, but hope you get it sorted.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 13:32:24 »
I thought this post must have been put up by someone abroad as I've never heard of either of these. There are enough biting midges on my plot so sorry Gavin but please do not send any this way!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 14:30:48 »
Do you mean harvest mites ?... http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th5i.htm

Uncle Ted

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 14:56:47 »
Have a look at this;
                              http://www.ehow.com/info_10065676_homemade-chigger-killer.html

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 16:17:43 »
See the wikipedia entry for chiggers/harvest mites/berry bugs here.

My dog Clover is mildly allergic to them - the only one of our girls who has been - and in the summer when they're about in the grass we need to spray her feet every other day with Frontline Spray (the frontline drops that guard against fleas and ticks is ineffective against harhest mites).

I'm not sure there is anything you can get to spray on the raspberries to kill chiggers in the wild.  Time was you'd have nuked the area with DDT or some such, but direct pesticide control is not sustainable as it poisons benign wildlife, disturbs the natural balance leaving a niche for other pests to establish, and creates the evolutionary pressure for the emergence of pesticide-resistent strains of pests.  Maybe some kind of topical repellant will work, like Avon's Skin so Soft?

If they jump on you right away I'd also wonder if they're actually midges - it's not  just Highland Scotland that has biting midges, there are plenty of other species around the UK that are nasty biters.  How big are your chiggers?  Can you see wings?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 17:06:25 »
No Chris - they are defo berry bug bites - I know horse flies.. These are tiny minute little tick like items.. and the bites come up in an oozing swelling itchy blister... then turn a bit septic and take about a month or more to go!!

Ahh... now I think I know the thing you mean.... we get them in Oxford  and they've been spreading through the country.... don't know of anything targetted for them and anythgin general is going to get the nice things too... from memory they only fly  at certain times of day and the trick is to avoid the times, wear repellent and cover  arms and legs... so full length trousers tucked into wellies, long-sleeve shirts.... horrible things and they've hospitalised people if you get too many bites adn go into toxic shock... the fly is tiny  but it avoids heads as far as I know...

gavinjconway

• Hectare

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 17:37:17 »
Have a look at this;
                              http://www.ehow.com/info_10065676_homemade-chigger-killer.html

Thanks uncle ted for the link... The info about getting them off you is actually a myth as by the time you see them or feel the itch they have done the deed - sucked your blood and deposited the poison!!

I really need a spray to enable me to spray the whole plot to keep control of and eventually get rid of them and find the USA sites have sprays but none available or licensed here..  :BangHead:..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 10:23:15 »
Gavin..'Harvest mites' are same as your 'Chiggers'..if you look at the link I sent there is info about harvest mites and some 'methods' to to do something with the buggers.
You could try 'trapping' them on black boards and spraying the boards with the insecticide...it is not 'getting rid of them' method but more of 'reducing' them. If you were to do total 'all over spray' you propably would kill more beneficial insect than actually target the blood suckers...that would cause trouble for your crops other ways.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 18:06:27 »
Gavin..'Harvest mites' are same as your 'Chiggers'..if you look at the link I sent there is info about harvest mites and some 'methods' to to do something with the buggers.
You could try 'trapping' them on black boards and spraying the boards with the insecticide...it is not 'getting rid of them' method but more of 'reducing' them. If you were to do total 'all over spray' you propably would kill more beneficial insect than actually target the blood suckers...that would cause trouble for your crops other ways.

Hi Goodlife - my apologies.. sorry I do realise my mistake as they definitely are the same little bugg..s .. I will look into the ways of keeping them down.. I really have to do something as they get me every time I work in the bottom section of the plot   :hmh:

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 19:17:56 »
So that's what been biting me!!! I've been blaming the chickens, dogs, cats  (even patients!!) .
 Thanks to you guys on A4A I now know what they are. Earlier this year I had about 20 odd and it was driving me mad I felt really poorly and went  crackers  checking the house for bed bugs.

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 22:48:37 »
I REALLY wish I hadn't read this or links, but I couldn't help myself!

I am allergic to wasps & need to carry an epipen, and I react badly to mosquitos and lots of other bites. Lots of plants also make me swell up and itch following contact. I don't like the sound of these mites one little bit, I'd never heard of them and hope I never do.

Unfortunately, I'm not far from Newbury, so they may find me...  :sad1:

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 00:47:27 »
Ah... now I understadn.... any chance of a decent acaricide killing them?... and not any of the insects?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:18 »
So that's what been biting me!!! I've been blaming the chickens, dogs, cats  (even patients!!) .
 Thanks to you guys on A4A I now know what they are. Earlier this year I had about 20 odd and it was driving me mad I felt really poorly and went  crackers  checking the house for bed bugs.
Yes..I think I went through similar phase couple of years ago...dog kept getting flea drops and everytime I visited chickens I finished getting new bites and often around waist or arms under the sleeves and yet I couldn't find anything.
'Funnnily' enough...once I started 'splashing' about with diatomeceous earth inside the chicken coop, in very generous measure and regularly, and even I still use straw in outside run the 'bitings' have ceased.
There is so many bugs on plot that 'bite' me that I cannot always tell them apart..but the mysterious and very itchy 'nibbles' have disappeared. Now I just wonder if the culprit were chiggers.
BTW!!!! Diatomeceous earth powder can be used on fruit tree trunks against unwanted crawlies and as it can be use on dogs and cats againts fleas...It propably is good idea to use for dusting around trouble areas during dry weather periods against chiggers and as it is not chemical, it doesn't harm crops and pollute the soil.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal