Author Topic: Toad (and other bits) in the hole!  (Read 1196 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Toad (and other bits) in the hole!
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:26 »
As  requested here is my way of doing an interesting Toad in the Hole, which our French friends all love, especially the name! Quantity enough for about 6 people, I think.  However, we find that  left-over portions freeze well, and are very welcome when I can't think of something quick for supper.
I don't use a recipe so the quantities are rather out of my head!
I make a batter with 6oz plain flour, 3/4 pt milk, 2 large eggs, seasoning, plus dried herbs, dried onion bits, perhaps a spoonful of sage and onion stuffing (anything you have to hand to make the batter flavourful).  I do it all in the food processor an hour or so before I need it, if I am that organised.
Using my biggest roasting tin, I put in say 6 or 8 good quality sausages, cut up into small lengths with scissors, plus 1/2lb chicken liver (trim off the little white bits and cut up into smallish pieces), plus a reasonable amount of lean bacon cut into small pieces.  Here I use lardons, as that is what is easily available. Lay them out reasonably mixed.  Pour over some oil, eg sunflower, so there is a good covering all over the tin.  Pre-heat oven to Reg 6 (200ºC). Put the tin in the oven for say five minutes until really hot.  Pour batter carefully over and bake for about 30 mins. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal