Author Topic: What’s done well for you?  (Read 3043 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
What’s done well for you?
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:29:58 »
Just wondering what were the biggest stars of your veggie garden this year?
Not much competition here as lots of things have been poor, but I’ve been pleased with tomatoes, chillies and runner beans.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: What’s done well for you?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:04 »
For me its the year of parsnips and savoy/winter cabbage.  Best ever for both of these. 

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:20 »
I haven't pulled any parsnips yet as they looked a bit small compared to usual, glad yours are fab though. I'll go and have a snoop and see if they are ok size to pull.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:06:51 »
Well happy with my carrots this year - picked a 13 oz one on Sunday - no slug or fly damage!!!! But beetroot was my star this year and I still have a long row of bolthardy to pull.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:20:28 »
Runner beans are briliant and still going strong. Jerusalem artichokes look good but I haven't dug any yet to see how the tubers have come along. Pumpkin has done well, outdoor cucumbers were fantastic. Foxgloves are doing well at their second flush - and the first flowering was excellent too. Quite pleased with everything, reallly, considering the poor start to the season.
My Suffolk allotment is a fine example of 'how not to do it'.
Muddling through with excessive effort for minimal return from 4 rods since 2008.

carroteater

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:09 »
Runner beans and sweet peas

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 13:24:35 »
Sweet peppers and runner beans were good most other stuff was around half the size I would expect it to be!

My potato crop has the numbers but only half the weight so looks like I will be buying in early in the new year, when normally I finish them around Easter!

The sprouts are the size of peas at the moment when I would expect them to be about walnut size, so going to need to lift a lot of plants for Xmas dinner this year.

Don't know about the parsnips yet, haven't lifted any!

Late cabbage and savoys look quite good as do the leeks!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 14:11:24 »
Cobra beans had a good second flush. Moonlight taste good but not as prolific as Cobra and no second flush. 20 large apples on tree fruiting for first time. Lots of Comice pears but they won't keep long as they are somewhat scabbed. Otherwise fruit and veggies very so-so.

Tricia

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 15:30:58 »
Rhubarb, runner beans, onions, leeks, beetroot have done well. The rest has been very pooor.

Regards

Bluecar

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 16:45:18 »
Stonehead cabbage were great ,Cobra beans so prolific first time Ive grown them they were amazing, great parsnips and carrots with no dreaded fly damage,  sprouts also looking really good for the first time ever.

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 19:07:18 »
only peas have done well for me this year :happy7:,telephone from RealSeeds grown up the fences that are put around building sites(have forgot the name of them) with pea meshing tied to them ...Best year ever and they stayed up and not blown over . EVERYTHING ELSE rubbish  :sad10:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 19:23:43 »
Raspberries, jam and freezer full of raspberries.  I actually had to buy two courgettes yesterday for veggie daughter for veggies spagetti sauce, I nearly cried.  Told the man in the shop but as he was foreign, he just nodded at me, so I shouted I have an allotment, I grow them, but only got 3 or 4 this year, but do not think he understood my frustation, cost me over a £1.  Next year must be better I hope.  Also had to buy oregano, as my herb either got nicked or disappeared.  :sad10:

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 19:46:28 »
The onions Sturon as usual,  my best ever sweetcorn Swift F1 and yellow tomatoes Golden Queen
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 20:21:35 »
Parsnips, celery, caleriac, broad beans, late sown spinach and oriental greens, runners and kohl Rabi have done particularly well. Jeruselem Artichokes and oca are also looking good.

Many other things have done ok though not spectacularly well.

At least there should be enough to keep us fed till next springs early crops are in. :happy11:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 20:30:06 »
I thought I had some lovely beetroot, but each one looks as if someone has taken a huge bite out of it.  I hate slugs.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:35 »
Basically everything green and leafy! Everything that was more spring/autumn...
First time I had such nice lettuce and salad greens, and radishes (usually they are rubbish.). STill have some beets in., maybe we will at least eat them as baby beets before the harder frosts. Pumpkins still did OK, but I had fabulous spuds (too many in fact!) and  very good garlic and onions.
The autumn stuff is going great guns: lettuice, caulis, broccolis, swiss chard, leeks, all those are looking great as there is just perpetual rain here.
But all the rest which is normally so good was crap - no toms, no courgette or cucumber, almost no strawberries and the raspberries cropped but were completely spoilt by rain, poor beans (peas OK), and as usual can't get carrots to grow (no surprise there).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 23:03:39 »
I've had very mixed reslts from my beans, but Kew Blue did well. The only trouble was that something bit through most of the stems, leaving only a couple of plants. I'd have had a good crop from them otherwise.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 08:40:51 »
THe thing biting your stems was probably snails... I lost a few to that as well, once they get big enough they're immune (or rather the snails don't bother adn go looking for somethign less stringy)

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 18:32:57 »
I doubt it, the cuts were too sharp, and they were all at exactly the same level, a few inches above the ground. That wigwam was well and truly done, a few stems on the next one were chopped, and nothing else was touched.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 19:46:56 »
Hmm.... rabbits?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal